Mar 29, 2010, 3:40 PM EST
In a surprise move, the Cubs have decided to keep 24-year-old outfield prospect Tyler Colvin on the Opening Day roster. Colvin is slated for a bench role, although manager Lou Piniella said that he hopes to find the former first-round pick 2-3 starts per week.
Piniella cited Colvin’s outstanding spring training performance as the reason for making the team, but basing decisions on 20 exhibition games against inconsistent levels of competition is usually a mistake and I’m not sure what the big rush is with Colvin.
He’s been excellent this spring and hit .300 with an .859 OPS in 89 games at Double-A last season, but he had an ugly 57/16 K/BB ratio in the process and before that Colvin struggled so much at Double-A the previous season that the Cubs demoted him back to Single-A.
His plate discipline and strike-zone control have improved, but only from horrendous to merely bad, and Colvin has yet to log a single plate appearance at Triple-A. Why jump him from Double-A to the majors just so he can mostly sit on the bench behind Alfonso Soriano, Marlon Byrd, Kosuke Fukudome, and Xavier Nady? Why not send him to Triple-A, let him prove that his recent success is for real, and call him up when you actually need him?
- Yasmany Tomas signs a six-year, $68.5 million deal with the Diamondbacks 86
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap 162
- Red Sox announce four-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, DFA Juan Francisco 35
- The Cubs have offered Jon Lester “north of $135 million” 68
- Pablo Sandoval’s deal: five years, $98 million plus an option 43
- Kyle Seager, Mariners close to $100 million extension 26
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot 286
- So what would the Red Sox look like with Hanley Ramirez and Pablo Sandoval? 49
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot (286)
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap (162)
- More Hall of Fame ballots like Adam Rubin’s please (140)
- Report: Pablo Sandoval chose the Red Sox over the Giants because he felt disrespected (138)
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical (133)