Mar 29, 2010, 8:40 PM EST
UPDATE: Teixeria was diagnosed with a right elbow contusion, reports Mark Feinsand of the New York Daily News. After being looked at by doctors, it was determined that he did not need X-rays. He’ll be re-evaluated on Tuesday. Scary moment, but could have been a lot worse.
8:00 pm: Fingers are crossed in the Bronx right now. Mark Teixeira was forced to exit tonight’s game against the Orioles after being hit in the right elbow by Jeremy Guthrie.
I happened to be watching the at-bat and Teixeira was in some obvious and considerable pain. He took some careful strides towards the Yankees’ dugout before slamming his helmet to the ground out of frustration. He was immediately removed from the game for further examination.
We’ve yet to hear an update on his status, but needless to say, the Yankees’ lineup would be much less fearsome with the injury-prone Nick Johnson at first base and Marcus Thames or Randy Winn as the designated hitter to start the season. Stay tuned.
- Yasmany Tomas signs a six-year, $68.5 million deal with the Diamondbacks 86
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap 162
- Red Sox announce four-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, DFA Juan Francisco 35
- The Cubs have offered Jon Lester “north of $135 million” 68
- Pablo Sandoval’s deal: five years, $98 million plus an option 43
- Kyle Seager, Mariners close to $100 million extension 26
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot 286
- So what would the Red Sox look like with Hanley Ramirez and Pablo Sandoval? 49
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot (286)
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap (162)
- More Hall of Fame ballots like Adam Rubin’s please (140)
- Report: Pablo Sandoval chose the Red Sox over the Giants because he felt disrespected (138)
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical (133)