Mar 29, 2010, 1:41 PM EDT
President Barack Obama will throw out the ceremonial first pitch at the Nationals-Phillies game on Opening Day in Washington and commissioner Bud Selig will also be in attendance at Nationals Park.
Obama probably won’t be wearing Nationals gear, however, because he previously threw out the first pitch to catcher Albert Pujols at last season’s All-Star game in St. Louis while wearing a White Sox jacket. This time he’ll be throwing to Ivan Rodriguez.
Ben Goessling of MASNSports.com notes that “it will be the 48th time the president has thrown out the first pitch on Opening Day in Washington and it comes 100 years after President Taft started the tradition on April 14, 1910.”
In far less positive “guys who take the mound in Washington” news, Adam Kilgore of the Washington Post reports that Livan Hernandez will be the Nationals’ fourth starter. Hernandez signed a minor-league contract last month that pays $900,000 if he makes the team, but he’s 35 years old and has ERAs of 5.44, 6.04, 4.93, and 4.83 during the past four seasons.
The Nationals might be better off just sticking POTUS in the rotation.
- Giants rout Royals 11-4 in Game 4 to even up the World Series at 2-2 14
- Mike Trout, Giancarlo Stanton win the Hank Aaron Award 1
- World Series, Game 4: Royals vs. Giants lineups 1
- Report: Rays owner Stuart Sternberg has discussed moving the team to Montreal 62
- Dave Dombrowski on Miguel Cabrera: “It’s worse than what we ever would have anticipated” 33
- World Series Reset: Can the Giants even things up? 4
- Behind strong bullpen, Royals edge Giants 3-2 to take a 2-1 World Series lead 36
- Paul Konerko, Jimmy Rollins named co-winners of the Roberto Clemente Award 4
- Shocker! Joe Maddon to opt out of his contract and leave the Rays (143)
- Erroneous Narrative Alert: no, the Giants are not a “gritty,” anti-stats organization (122)
- Pedro Martinez has some opinions about who the new “face of baseball” is (112)
- PANTY RAID! Homeland Security agents confiscate unlicensed Kansas City Royals underwear (109)
- The World Series ratings are low. So what? (107)