Obama to throw out first pitch in Washington

Mar 29, 2010, 1:41 PM EDT

President Barack Obama will throw out the ceremonial first pitch at the Nationals-Phillies game on Opening Day in Washington and commissioner Bud Selig will also be in attendance at Nationals Park.
Obama probably won’t be wearing Nationals gear, however, because he previously threw out the first pitch to catcher Albert Pujols at last season’s All-Star game in St. Louis while wearing a White Sox jacket. This time he’ll be throwing to Ivan Rodriguez.
Ben Goessling of MASNSports.com notes that “it will be the 48th time the president has thrown out the first pitch on Opening Day in Washington and it comes 100 years after President Taft started the tradition on April 14, 1910.”
In far less positive “guys who take the mound in Washington” news, Adam Kilgore of the Washington Post reports that Livan Hernandez will be the Nationals’ fourth starter. Hernandez signed a minor-league contract last month that pays $900,000 if he makes the team, but he’s 35 years old and has ERAs of 5.44, 6.04, 4.93, and 4.83 during the past four seasons.
The Nationals might be better off just sticking POTUS in the rotation.

1. Ryan - Mar 29, 2010 at 2:21 PM

If he can throw curve balls to MLB hitters the way he throws curve balls to his constituents, I’d say he’d be the dark horse for Cy Young this year.

2. Conor - Mar 29, 2010 at 2:46 PM

You obviously didn’t see him throw out the first pitch of the 2009 All Star game (http://www.nowpublic.com/sports/obama-first-pitch-obama-wears-mom-jeans-throws-girl). Just terrible. Pathetic really. Hopefully he’s practiced a lot since then because, frankly, if I’m going to see someone throw like that I’d prefer they have a really short skirt on and nice legs. I’m not saying I’d vote on Presidents based on how they can throw, but have some dignity and common sense – if you can’t throw, don’t put yourself into the position of throwing out the first pitch. It’s that easy. Sing “Take Me Out to the Ballgame” at Wrigley instead – no one cares how bad you sing for that gig.

3. Ryan - Mar 29, 2010 at 4:00 PM

I don’t care if you are god himself, if you can’t throw a ball 60 feet without it bouncing before it gets to the catcher, GET OFF THE FIELD.

4. BC - Mar 29, 2010 at 4:07 PM

At least he throws better than he bowls.

5. BCTF - Mar 29, 2010 at 4:26 PM

6. Utley's hair - Mar 29, 2010 at 5:01 PM

“Obama and Selig in the same place?!?! I am not sure who I hate more. One tried to take away my favorite team, the other is trying to take away my freedom.”
    On Mr. Pocket-sized-rule-book Selig, agreed, but based on how he is a complete buffoon. And as for all the Obama haters, he is not a pro baseball player–even Dumbyass bounced his pitch. Have any of you tried to throw a ball with a flack jacket on? Try it, then maybe you can bitch. And I believe that is the first time I’ve heard about Obama taking “away my freedom,” especially after his war-criminal, domestic-spying predecessor.
    I have in the past said this is a sports site, and leave your politics at the door, but the fact that this post mentions the president, that assertion flies out the window–but only for this one.

7. Ryan - Mar 29, 2010 at 5:28 PM

The ‘bouncing’ it in to the catcher comment had nothing to do with POTUS, but you bring up another point – I PROMISE you I could throw a ball 60 feet wearing a flak jacket, and I haven’t played any level of competitive baseball in >15 years, most of that time spent in front of a computer. Hell, I could probably do it wearing the Michelin man suit. It’s a lightweight ball of leather and string and you’re throwing it 60 feet. How can the leader of the free world not even throw a ball 60 feet? No wonder W couldn’t defeat “them dern terrorasts!”

8. sylvester Patrick - Mar 29, 2010 at 6:36 PM

For anyone that thinks Obama is trying to take away their freedom must have been out of the country the past eight years! And if your comments are based on the Healthcare plan then ask your state senator to give up their free Healthcare plan! It’s one thing to know something that’s based on facts, But it’s a sad day in America when you hate someone based on what you hear from a losing party who can’t get over the fact that a smart Black Man beat them! If you forgot , Go back and look at the electorial Votes!!!

9. gary - Mar 29, 2010 at 6:44 PM

He’ll probably be wearing a jersey from one of the Cuban or Venezuelan teams.

10. sylvester Patrick - Mar 29, 2010 at 6:47 PM

your freedom was taken away when your ability to think was taken away by the republican party!!! I bet if they told you to jump off a cliff, you would do that too!!! Most of the negative comments about Obama is based on pure Ignorance! And here’s a paece of advice! If you don’t like the Healthcare Plan Obama passed! Tell your state senators to give up their Free Healthcare plans and pay like you and everyone eles!!!

11. Utley's hair - Mar 29, 2010 at 7:04 PM

First off, go back and read what I wrote. Second, try spell and grammar check next time you go off on one of your tirades, since it obviously didn’t take when–or if–you were in English class. It’s people like you that give Limbonehead, Coultergeist, O’Really, Beckerhead and the Repugnican fringe any credence whatsoever.

12. sylvester Patrick - Mar 29, 2010 at 7:04 PM

the only thin that’s Pathetic!!! Is your Comment!

13. Cru11 - Mar 29, 2010 at 7:25 PM

Nice pun, Ryan.

14. peteinfla - Mar 29, 2010 at 7:37 PM

My guess is he would miss, way, way outside to the left.

15. sylvester patrick - Mar 29, 2010 at 8:15 PM

My comment was for BCTF! Not You!!!

16. sylvester patrick - Mar 29, 2010 at 8:23 PM

WOW!!!! It really didn’t take much brain power to make that comment!!! You and george bush went to the same school?

17. Old Gator - Mar 29, 2010 at 10:10 PM

How can you hate the President with that juvenile paranoia of yours when those meerkats over there are looking at you like that?

18. BCTF - Mar 30, 2010 at 11:10 AM

19. Old Gator - Mar 30, 2010 at 12:05 PM

Oh, you mean like the freedom of choice you have when your plan gives you a list of maybe two available specialists within 100 miles and charges you a fortune if you want another one? Or how about the freedom to choose any doctor you want when you haven’t got a health plan and can’t even begin to afford to be treated for a disease you’d be taken care of for in Dahomey? That freedom? Oh, or how about the freedom to choose any steam grating on any street for your family to sleep on a winter night anywhere but in municipalities with vagrancy laws (who will give you the freedom to choose between movin’ on or going to a nice warm jail) when you lose your home because one of your kids’ medical costs have left you broke? That freedom? Yeah, I can see why you’d think folks who begrudged you your freedom were off the wall.
    Actually, your choices of medical care will remain completely intact under this plan. If you want to go spend a fortune privately on some specialist or clinic, you’ll still be perfectly free to do so. You ought to take the time actually to read up on what the bill does and doesn’t do. But that’s okay. There are still plenty of other ways this great country of ours leaves you free to hallucinate nonexistent restrictions, go on believing the big lie that this is “the finest healthcare system in the world” even though by any number of statistical measures – infant mortality, for example – you’d be better off in a lot of third world countries – and yet more ways it allows you to worry about your own sorry selfish ass and ignore the needs of everyone else around you, paranoid asshole that you are.

20. Utley's hair - Mar 30, 2010 at 4:47 PM

“I love how supporters of the government health care takeover will smear anyone who doesn’t believe in socialized health care as RIGHT WING NUT JOBS. There are plenty of dems and independents that aren’t ready to give up their freedom of choice for a government controlled health care plan.”
    At no place on here is the term “right-wing nut job” prior to your comment. And the term “smear” denotes some lack of veracity.
    But ya gotta love how people on here don’t bother to read the posts they are commenting on. Kinda like they don’t bother reading the health care (now) law before they start slamming nonexistent words or phrases or clauses. No, like the comments they post and reply to, they don’t read them. They depend on the idiotic rantings of the malcontent Repugnican fringe led by Rush Limbonehead, Ann Coultergeist, Bill O’Really, Sean Insanity and Glenn Beckerhead. By the way, health care was passed and signed. How are good ol’ Rush Limpboner’s Costa Rica relocation plans coming along?

21. BCTF - Mar 30, 2010 at 5:45 PM

I was referring to the fact that citizens will get penalized by the IRS if they don’t have health insurance. Giving the government the ability to force people to buy anything is a slippery slope to get on.

22. BTCF - Mar 30, 2010 at 5:50 PM

“They depend on the idiotic rantings of the malcontent Repugnican fringe led by Rush Limbonehead, Ann Coultergeist, Bill O’Really, Sean Insanity and Glenn Beckerhead. By the way, health care was passed and signed. How are good ol’ Rush Limpboner’s Costa Rica relocation plans coming along?”
    This is exactly what I was talking about. Thanks for proving my point. Just because I don’t agree with the current health care legislation (I am not in the minority BTW) doesn’t mean I set my raio dial to AM and watch Fox news all night.

23. Utley's hair - Mar 30, 2010 at 6:16 PM

“Giving the government the ability to force people to buy anything is a slippery slope to get on.”
    Next time you’re pulled over, mention that to the police officer asking you for your license, registration and proof of insurance. And people are forced to buy all government services already–it’s called taxes. Hell, the last administration forced the people to buy an unnecessary war and all the military equipment needed to replace the stuff that was destroyed in that war, not to mention the costs of burying all the unfortunate troops that didn’t make it back alive and all the medical costs for helping and fixing the unfortunate troops that did make it back alive, but not in one piece–whether the missing pieces are limbs, organs or mental faculties.

24. Utley's hair - Mar 30, 2010 at 6:37 PM

Again, the whole thing about commenting without reading what is being commented on. I was clearly referring to people who do just that. If you fall into that group, so be it. The ones who are spreading the BS about “death panels” and “you won’t be able to keep the plan you have” and the rest happen to be the “malcontent Repugnican fringe led by Rush Limbonehead, Ann Coultergeist, Bill O’Really, Sean Insanity and Glenn Beckerhead.” If that isn’t where you got your info, then show your source. If it is, then I rest my case.
    And look again at the stats. The majority of citizens wanted health-care reform. And now we have it–despite the Repugnicans’ best efforts to block it each and every step of the way, including all the amendments and other demands of their own that were included in the final bill.

Jackie Robinson Day is bittersweet