Mar 29, 2010, 5:00 PM EDT
Roy Oswalt is set for his eighth straight Opening Day start next week after getting an injection Monday in his lower back.
Oswalt left his last start Friday because of tightness in his left hamstring. He complained earlier in the week of tightness higher in the area around his left gluteus. The training staff determined that the root of the discomfort was the bulging disc in his back that’s been a problem since 2007. That’s not going away, but taking care of the nerve problem that had resulted was a quick fix.
Oswalt is currently slated to makes his final exhibition start on Wednesday. His Opening Day start will be his team-record eighth for Houston.
- Clayton Kershaw cleared to begin rehab assignment on Friday at High-A Rancho Cucamonga 0
- Michael Pineda ejected in second inning for pine tar on neck, facing a 10-game suspension 46
- Mark Trumbo diagnosed with stress fracture in foot 6
- Josh Johnson needs a second Tommy John surgery 19
- Sammy Sosa wasn’t invited to Wrigley Field’s 100th birthday 42