Mar 29, 2010, 10:08 AM EDT
Clark Spencer of the Miami Herald passes along word that Gaby Sanchez has captured the Marlins’ starting first base job over top prospect Logan Morrison, who has been reassigned to minor league camp.
Sanchez, 26, hit .409/.460/.659 this spring with 18 hits, five doubles, two home runs and five RBI in 44 at-bats while Morrison, 22, went 9-for-43 (.209) with zero homers. It’s not all about those spring stats, of course. Sanchez has been waiting in the wings to get a crack at a full-time starting job in the big leagues and Morrison should do well with a bit more marinating at the Triple-A level.
Sanchez is a .276/.323/.552 hitter in 29 major league at-bats. He’s projected by the great Bill James (via FanGraphs) to hit .279/.357/.464 this season with 15 home runs and 49 RBI in 406 plate appearances.
- Garrett Richards suffers ugly left knee injury 17
- Giants win protest, will complete rain-halted game at Wrigley Field on Thursday afternoon 30
- Royals might actually know what they are doing 27
- Curt Schilling reveals that he was diagnosed with mouth cancer, blames smokeless tobacco 70
- Clown shoes in Chicago: the Cubs grounds crew couldn’t get the tarp on the field 58
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 69
- Tony La Russa denies that Kirk Gibson’s job is safe 22
- Pirates activate Andrew McCutchen from the disabled list 2
- Mike Matheny addresses turmoil in Ferguson: “It’s a sad situation. It’s a tough situation for our city” (127)
- Here’s today’s dose of barfy Derek Jeter sentiment (82)
- Let’s speed up the pace of play. But let’s not be gimmicky about it. Let’s just enforce the rules. (74)
- Curt Schilling reveals that he was diagnosed with mouth cancer, blames smokeless tobacco (70)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (69)