Mar 29, 2010, 10:08 AM EDT
Clark Spencer of the Miami Herald passes along word that Gaby Sanchez has captured the Marlins’ starting first base job over top prospect Logan Morrison, who has been reassigned to minor league camp.
Sanchez, 26, hit .409/.460/.659 this spring with 18 hits, five doubles, two home runs and five RBI in 44 at-bats while Morrison, 22, went 9-for-43 (.209) with zero homers. It’s not all about those spring stats, of course. Sanchez has been waiting in the wings to get a crack at a full-time starting job in the big leagues and Morrison should do well with a bit more marinating at the Triple-A level.
Sanchez is a .276/.323/.552 hitter in 29 major league at-bats. He’s projected by the great Bill James (via FanGraphs) to hit .279/.357/.464 this season with 15 home runs and 49 RBI in 406 plate appearances.
- Bochy’s championship resume ranks among game’s best 9
- Alex Gordon would have been a dead duck had he tried to score 64
- Video: Pablo Sandoval catches final out in foul territory, Giants win 2014 World Series 9
- Madison Bumgarner pitches the Giants to their third World Series win in five seasons 86
- Madison Bumgarner named World Series MVP … obviously 20
- Pablo Sandoval sets new postseason hits record 10
- There’s nothing better than a Game 7? Well, maybe there is. 23
- Report: Cubs hire Joe Maddon as manager 70
- A veteran says enough is enough when it comes to tributes for the soldiers (278)
- Jose Canseco shot his middle finger off (147)
- Shocker! Joe Maddon to opt out of his contract and leave the Rays (142)
- Oscar Taveras dies after car accident in the Dominican Republic (140)
- 10-0! The Royals romp, tie it up at three games a piece (109)