Mar 30, 2010, 8:26 PM EST
The Seattle Mariners might not win the AL West this season, but they will have the best damn chemistry in the history of baseball, even with Milton Bradley patrolling the clubhouse looking for signs of disrespect.
As Jon Paul Morosi of Fox reports, the Mariners have waived first baseman Ryan Garko, opting instead to keep Mike Sweeney as the terrific guy/Bradley babysitter/Griffey practical joke partner/1B/DH platoon man.
Garko is a 29-year-old right-hander who historically crushes left-handers, seemingly making him a solid platoon partner with Casey Kotchman at first base. So it seems puzzling that the M’s would waive him to instead keep a 36-year-old guy with a history of injuries, no matter how likable he is.
But Geoff Baker of the Seattle Times makes a pretty good case for the move.
Garko apparently was terrible in the field this spring, to the point where Kotchman was playing first base even against lefties. Plus, Sweeney appears to have found the Hot Tub Time Machine and teleported back to, oh about 2000, smashing everything within reach and making him a better candidate to share DH duties with Griffey.
Since Sweeney wasn’t on the 40-man roster, they needed Garko’s spot, thus the decision to waive him instead of sending him to the minors.
Either way, it probably won’t make much difference for the Mariners. They’re still going to struggle scoring runs no matter which of their middling 1B/DH candidates they throw out there. So I guess they decided to go with veteran chemistry, which Sweeney can still provide even after his back goes out in mid-May.
- David Ortiz and Robinson Cano give their Super Bowl XLIX predictions 6
- Zack Greinke hasn’t made decision about opt-out 8
- Someone apparently got Jayson Werth’s autograph in jail 20
- Chris Davis opens up about his Adderall suspension: “It was a moment of weakness” 55
- MLB.com names Byron Buxton as baseball’s top prospect for second straight year 42
- Yasiel Puig says the Cardinals are the Dodgers’ “principal rivals,” not the Giants 106
- Jayson Werth to serve five days in jail for reckless driving 48
- Keith Law’s top 100 prospects list is out 39
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition (173)
- Yasiel Puig says the Cardinals are the Dodgers’ “principal rivals,” not the Giants (106)
- Why “Deflategate” would never happen in baseball (96)
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives (85)
- Rosenthal proposal: make relievers face more than one batter per appearance (74)