Mar 30, 2010, 8:26 PM EDT
The Seattle Mariners might not win the AL West this season, but they will have the best damn chemistry in the history of baseball, even with Milton Bradley patrolling the clubhouse looking for signs of disrespect.
As Jon Paul Morosi of Fox reports, the Mariners have waived first baseman Ryan Garko, opting instead to keep Mike Sweeney as the terrific guy/Bradley babysitter/Griffey practical joke partner/1B/DH platoon man.
Garko is a 29-year-old right-hander who historically crushes left-handers, seemingly making him a solid platoon partner with Casey Kotchman at first base. So it seems puzzling that the M’s would waive him to instead keep a 36-year-old guy with a history of injuries, no matter how likable he is.
But Geoff Baker of the Seattle Times makes a pretty good case for the move.
Garko apparently was terrible in the field this spring, to the point where Kotchman was playing first base even against lefties. Plus, Sweeney appears to have found the Hot Tub Time Machine and teleported back to, oh about 2000, smashing everything within reach and making him a better candidate to share DH duties with Griffey.
Since Sweeney wasn’t on the 40-man roster, they needed Garko’s spot, thus the decision to waive him instead of sending him to the minors.
Either way, it probably won’t make much difference for the Mariners. They’re still going to struggle scoring runs no matter which of their middling 1B/DH candidates they throw out there. So I guess they decided to go with veteran chemistry, which Sweeney can still provide even after his back goes out in mid-May.
- Tony La Russa denies that Kirk Gibson’s job is safe 9
- Pirates activate Andrew McCutchen from the disabled list 1
- HBT Daily: They’ve dropped six straight, but the Pirates may be the Wild Card favorites 2
- The Diamondbacks plan to bring back Kirk Gibson for some reason 30
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 32
- Numbers game: Tigers fall victim to baseball’s speed obsession 45
- Twins prospect Byron Buxton done for season after concussion 3
- Let’s speed up the pace of play. But let’s not be gimmicky about it. Let’s just enforce the rules. 74
- Mike Matheny addresses turmoil in Ferguson: “It’s a sad situation. It’s a tough situation for our city” (125)
- Jayson Werth clocked at 105 m.p.h. in a 55 zone, is charged with reckless driving (88)
- Here’s today’s dose of barfy Derek Jeter sentiment (82)
- Baseball is dying, you guys (78)
- A vote for Tom Werner for commissioner is a vote to return to the dark ages (78)