Mar 30, 2010, 1:40 PM EDT
The Tigers apparently settled their rotation Tuesday by trading left-hander Nate Robertson and cash to the Marlins for left-hander Jay Voss.
Robertson was marked for departure even though he looked like a better bet for the season than either Dontrelle Willis or Jeremy Bonderman. While he hasn’t been an above average starter since 2006, he did come back from a minor elbow surgery to post a 3.77 ERA in six starts and two relief appearances at the end of last year. His velocity is up a little over recent years, and he has a 3.66 ERA and a 19/7 K/BB ratio in 19 2/3 innings this spring.
The trade means Robertson’s career has come full circle. He was Florida’s fifth-round pick in 1999 and he made his major league debut with the team in 2002 before being traded to the Tigers for Mark Redman the following winter.
With Robertson around, a Florida rotation that had appeared set is now again in flux. It looked like Chris Volstad and Clay Hensley would serve as the team’s fourth and fifth starters. Hensley, like Robertson, has had little success recently, but he’s been one of the Grapefruit League’s most pleasant surprises this spring. The Marlins might opt to stick with him and send Volstad back to Triple-A.
In Jay Voss, the Tigers are getting a middling relief prospect. The 22-year-old had a 2.72 ERA and a 46/18 K/BB ratio in 49 2/3 innings between Single-A Jupiter and Double-A Jacksonville last year. He won’t be an impact guy, but he has a chance to carve out a career. He’ll likely open the season back in Double-A.
- Brian Matusz was ejected for having a foreign substance on his arm 8
- Josh Hamilton will join the Rangers on Monday 4
- UPDATE: David Wright diagnosed with spinal stenosis 14
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 39
- Video: Mike Trout makes a ridiculous slide to beat the tag at third base 14
- Cuba’s best pitching prospect is on his way to America 21
- Will Smith suspended for eight games for the foreign substance on his arm 62
- Will Smith’s ejection once again shows baseball’s silly approach to foreign substance rules 49
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (133)
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (131)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- GM Dan Jennings to be named the Marlins new manager. And it’s a terrible idea. (111)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)