Mar 30, 2010, 1:40 PM EDT
The Tigers apparently settled their rotation Tuesday by trading left-hander Nate Robertson and cash to the Marlins for left-hander Jay Voss.
Robertson was marked for departure even though he looked like a better bet for the season than either Dontrelle Willis or Jeremy Bonderman. While he hasn’t been an above average starter since 2006, he did come back from a minor elbow surgery to post a 3.77 ERA in six starts and two relief appearances at the end of last year. His velocity is up a little over recent years, and he has a 3.66 ERA and a 19/7 K/BB ratio in 19 2/3 innings this spring.
The trade means Robertson’s career has come full circle. He was Florida’s fifth-round pick in 1999 and he made his major league debut with the team in 2002 before being traded to the Tigers for Mark Redman the following winter.
With Robertson around, a Florida rotation that had appeared set is now again in flux. It looked like Chris Volstad and Clay Hensley would serve as the team’s fourth and fifth starters. Hensley, like Robertson, has had little success recently, but he’s been one of the Grapefruit League’s most pleasant surprises this spring. The Marlins might opt to stick with him and send Volstad back to Triple-A.
In Jay Voss, the Tigers are getting a middling relief prospect. The 22-year-old had a 2.72 ERA and a 46/18 K/BB ratio in 49 2/3 innings between Single-A Jupiter and Double-A Jacksonville last year. He won’t be an impact guy, but he has a chance to carve out a career. He’ll likely open the season back in Double-A.
- Settling the Scores: Thursday’s results 0
- Breaking: Cardinals fire their scouting director, likely due to the Astros hacking scandal 54
- Bryce Harper is naked in ESPN’s “Body Issue” 54
- Today is the day: Marlins ace Jose Fernandez returns from Tommy John surgery 4
- A-Rod, the Yankees and the union in talks to direct his $6 million home run bonus to charity 29
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 53
- Video: Joey Butler breaks up Carlos Carrasco’s no-hitter with two outs in the ninth inning 12
- Bill Stoneman taking over as Angels’ interim GM 17
- With the same-sex marriage decision, the San Francisco Giants get another big win (276)
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (77)
- There was a super ump show in Chicago yesterday (75)