Mar 30, 2010, 5:01 PM EDT
Released by the Blue Jays over the weekend, Joey Gathright quickly found another gig by signing a minor-league contract with the Orioles.
Gathright is a fascinating to me because he’s without question one of the fastest and most athletic players in all of baseball, yet for all his blazing speed and car-jumping ability he can’t hit and isn’t even a great base-stealer.
He’s batted .263 with a mediocre .327 on-base percentage and punchless .303 slugging percentage in 1,328 plate appearances as a major leaguer, and has also averaged just 36 steals per 600 trips to the plate while being gunned down on 27 percent of his attempts.
Ultimate Zone Rating pegs him as 8.5 runs above average defensively per 150 games in center field and he rates even better as a left fielder, but for whatever reason Gathright can’t seem to find a long-term home as a fourth or fifth outfielder. He’s not even 30 years old yet, but has already played for the Rays, Royals, Red Sox, Cubs, Blue Jays, and Orioles.
This is actually Gathright’s second stint with the Orioles, as he played 80 games for their Triple-A affiliate last season before being traded to the Red Sox for a player to be named later or cash. Gathright hit .329 with 24 steals in those 80 games at Norfolk, which is where he’ll likely begin this season.
- Jonathan Papelbon makes it clear, again: He wants out of Philadelphia 51
- Looking at the All-Star team snubs and surprises 71
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 52
- “Final Vote” balloting opens for 2015 MLB All-Star Game 51
- Pitchers and reserves for 2015 MLB All-Star Game announced 67
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 51
- AL and NL Starters for the 2015 All-Star Game announced 107
- That time Manny Ramirez nearly became a Met 10
- AL and NL Starters for the 2015 All-Star Game announced (107)
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno (90)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (78)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- Looking at the All-Star team snubs and surprises (71)