Mar 30, 2010, 5:01 PM EST
Released by the Blue Jays over the weekend, Joey Gathright quickly found another gig by signing a minor-league contract with the Orioles.
Gathright is a fascinating to me because he’s without question one of the fastest and most athletic players in all of baseball, yet for all his blazing speed and car-jumping ability he can’t hit and isn’t even a great base-stealer.
He’s batted .263 with a mediocre .327 on-base percentage and punchless .303 slugging percentage in 1,328 plate appearances as a major leaguer, and has also averaged just 36 steals per 600 trips to the plate while being gunned down on 27 percent of his attempts.
Ultimate Zone Rating pegs him as 8.5 runs above average defensively per 150 games in center field and he rates even better as a left fielder, but for whatever reason Gathright can’t seem to find a long-term home as a fourth or fifth outfielder. He’s not even 30 years old yet, but has already played for the Rays, Royals, Red Sox, Cubs, Blue Jays, and Orioles.
This is actually Gathright’s second stint with the Orioles, as he played 80 games for their Triple-A affiliate last season before being traded to the Red Sox for a player to be named later or cash. Gathright hit .329 with 24 steals in those 80 games at Norfolk, which is where he’ll likely begin this season.
- Chris Davis opens up about his Adderall suspension: “It was a moment of weakness” 19
- MLB.com names Byron Buxton as baseball’s top prospect for second straight year 29
- Yasiel Puig says the Cardinals are the Dodgers’ “principal rivals,” not the Giants 92
- Jayson Werth to serve five days in jail for reckless driving 48
- Keith Law’s top 100 prospects list is out 39
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition 173
- Nationals sign former Blue Jays closer Casey Janssen 11
- Ichiro Suzuki’s deal with the Marlins is worth $2 million 35
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition (173)
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts (118)
- Why “Deflategate” would never happen in baseball (96)
- Yasiel Puig says the Cardinals are the Dodgers’ “principal rivals,” not the Giants (91)
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives (83)