Mar 30, 2010, 10:28 PM EDT
It’s been a tough day at the office for Orioles manager Dave Trembley. He already made one tough decision, picking David Hernandez over Chris Tillman for the final spot in his rotation, but he made another notable one later in the afternoon, naming Felix Pie as his Opening Day left fielder over Nolan Reimold.
Reimold is batting just .231 (9-for-39) with one home run and three RBI this spring while Pie is batting .393 (11-for-28) with two home runs, three RBI and two stolen bases. Trembley insists that the decision wasn’t about production, but only to protect Reimold, who is slowly working his way back from surgery on his left Achilles’ tendon.
“This is not a slight on (Nolan) Reimold, but this is the right thing
for Reimold. He’s not 100 percent. You think I’m going to go ask him to
bust his butt on turf?” Trembley said.
The Orioles are set to open their season against the Rays in Tropicana Field, so it appears he is taking the prudent approach.
For those worried about Reimold losing the grip on the job that was seemingly his, remember that Pie’s struggles in the first half last season are what brought Reimold to the majors in the first place. It’s possible that Pie could blossom into the star he was long ago hyped to be — and his second half last season at least hinted at that possibility — but I’m expecting the two outfielders to split playing time until Reimold is at full strength.
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 27
- Dodgers announce Vin Scully will return for 2015 season 43
- Jon Lester scratched Wednesday amid trade speculation 32
- Rays are “talking and willing” to trade ace lefty David Price; Cardinals and Dodgers interested 35
- Phillies wanted Joc Pederson, Corey Seager, and Julio Urias from Dodgers for Cole Hamels 84
- Matt Cain is going to pay a visit to Dr. Andrews 8
- The Nationals and Orioles dispute over TV money is about to explode 89
- The Red Sox are expected to deal Jon Lester and the Pirates are a “dark horse” 36
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (201)
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (190)
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts (165)
- Must-click link: sexual depravity — and possibly rape — in the minor leagues (103)
- Ray Rice is awful, but let’s not pretend baseball has a great record on domestic violence (91)