Mar 31, 2010, 2:46 PM EDT
Ian Kinsler hasn’t played since suffering a high-ankle sprain on March 11 and MLB.com’s T.R. Sullivan reports that the All-Star second baseman will begin the season on the disabled list.
Because the Rangers can backdate Kinsler’s trip to the disabled list he’ll be eligible to return on April 10, but high-ankle sprains can be a tricky injury and he’s no sure thing to be ready by then.
“Our goal is to win the American League West,” assistant general manager Thad Levine told Sullivan. “Ian Kinsler will play a huge part in us accomplishing that goal. We are also well aware of the length of the season. We are not [trying] to get him out there early in the season and cost us more games later in the season.”
Earlier this week the Rangers acquired light-hitting infielder Andres Blanco from the Cubs for a player to be named later or cash, and he could be thrust into the lineup as Kinsler’s replacement at second base early on. Joaquin Arias and non-roster invitees Esteban German and Gregorio Petit are other potential fill-ins.
- Rafael Soriano calls out Bryce Harper for the game-tying triple last night 18
- Apparently MLB is going to ignore Alex Sanabia throwing a spitball 20
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 61
- Mike Trout hits for cycle in Angels’ rout of Mariners 22
- Kevin Gausman will make Orioles debut on Thursday 6
- MLB is putting players in camouflage uniforms on Memorial Day. Which is kinda weird. (116)
- Barry Bonds: Miguel Cabrera is the best … but not as good as me (106)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (92)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (81)
- Albert Pujols doesn’t matter anymore (73)
- Tiger calls Sergio's comments inappropriate, hurtful
- Bears great Urlacher announces retirement
- Posnanski on Golf: Sergio shows disdain for Tiger
- PHT: Sharks take Game 4, pull even with Kings
- PBT: Cavs win NBA draft lottery, will pick No. 1
- PBT: Nick Gilbert again Cavs' good luck charm
- PBT: Grizzlies figuring out Spurs after Game 2