Mar 31, 2010, 1:44 PM EDT
Once upon a time Jeremy Sowers was considered a big part of the Indians’ long-term plans, as the former sixth overall pick in the 2004 draft breezed through the minors and went 7-4 with a 3.67 ERA in 14 starts as a 23-year-old rookie in 2006.
Unfortunately he’s been a mess ever since, posting ERAs of 6.42, 5.58, and 5.25 while splitting the past three seasons between Cleveland’s rotation and Triple-A, and Ken Rosenthal of FOXSports.com reports that the Indians have placed him on waivers.
Despite being a top-10 pick Sowers never had a particularly high ceiling, but he was billed as an MLB-ready middle-of-the-rotation starter with “polish” and “command” coming out of Vanderbilt. Instead he’s turned out to be merely a soft-tossing southpaw with a high-80s fastball, amazingly hittable changeup, mediocre control, and non-existent strikeout rate.
In the three years since his promising debut Sowers has gone 11-26 with a 5.63 ERA and .291 opponents’ batting average in 312 innings, which along with underwhelming raw stuff is why the Indians were willing to cut a former top-10 pick loose before his 27th birthday. And why he may go unclaimed on waivers and remain in the organization after losing his spot on the 40-man roster.
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 98
- Astros vendor brings snow cones into bathroom stall, gets fired 49
- Don Mattingly will still be the Dodgers’ manager on Friday 16
- Jake Westbrook feeling lingering discomfort in right elbow 7
- Las Vegas police investigating Jose Canseco as a suspect in sexual assault case 75
- MLB is putting players in camouflage uniforms on Memorial Day. Which is kinda weird. (117)
- Barry Bonds: Miguel Cabrera is the best … but not as good as me (112)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (98)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (81)
- Las Vegas police investigating Jose Canseco as a suspect in sexual assault case (75)
- Lochte says Phelps will return soon
- Tebow fact: He reminds Chuck Norris of Chuck Norris
- LeBron stuns Pacers with OT winner in Game 1
- HBT: Astros vendor fired after taking food into bathroom
- Pens overwhelm Sens, take 3-1 series lead
- Tiger calls Sergio's comments inappropriate, hurtful
- Bears great Urlacher announces retirement