Mar 31, 2010, 7:04 PM EDT
Think minor leaguers don’t have every incentive to do whatever they can to make the big leagues? Check out Garrett Broshuis’ latest story in Baseball America about living on the verge of poverty in the minor leagues. I’d normally blockquote something here, but this is better if read in full and in context. The details are pretty hard to believe given baseball’s $6 billion+ revenue.
The big driver on these salaries, of course, is supply and demand: there is no shortage of guys who would kill for the chance to play pro ball, and when that happens, it’s easy to see how a team can pay a guy $3000 for a seven month commitment.
But it doesn’t justify it. Supply and demand is what led to kids working in coal mines, and there’s a reason why someone has stepped in to stop that. I’m not suggesting that the government get involved in minor league baseball of course, but Major League Baseball and the player’s association — two entities which derive no small amount of benefit from the existence of the minor leagues and which essentially dictate policies to the minor leagues without any actual minor leaguer input — can and should do better than simply saying “that’s the market” while their brothers in the bushes are killing themselves for nearly nothing.
- Adrian Beltre needs just five innings for the third cycle of his career 0
- Mets blow out Marlins, move past Nationals for first place in NL East 6
- Yordano Ventura calls Jose Bautista a “nobody” and accuses him of stealing signs 71
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 85
- The benches cleared in Toronto, too 79
- The Reds’ and Pirates’ benches cleared after Brandon Phillips was hit with a pitch 65
- Reminder: even though the trade deadline has passed, trades can still happen 13
- Settling the Scores: Saturday’s results 36
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (205)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (113)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s (95)
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects (92)