UPDATE: Beckett, Sox close to $68M extension

Mar 31, 2010, 10:05 PM EST

beckett headshot.JPGUPDATE: The Boston Herald’s Scott Lauber hears from colleague Michael Silverman that Beckett’s deal will be worth $68 million over four years.

6:11pm: Jon Heyman of SI.com reports that the Red Sox and right-hander Josh Beckett are close to agreement on a four-year contract extension worth around $70 million.

The Red Sox set out to keep the length of the 29-year-old’s new contract under five years.  It appears they have accomplished that goal, all the while agreeing to pay Beckett a handsome (and well-deserved) $17.5 million annual salary.  For reference, the Red Sox handed a five-year, $82.5 million ($16.5M per season) free agent contract to John Lackey this
offseason and a six-year, $52 million ($8.7M per season) deal to Daisuke Matsuzaka back in 2006.

Beckett, who turns 30 in May, went 17-6 with a 3.86 ERA, 1.19 WHIP and 199 strikeouts in 2009 and is
entering the final season of a three-year, $30 million extension.

1. dp - Mar 31, 2010 at 8:38 PM

I figured he thought more of himself , and would take a stand on what they gave Lackey. The only thing I can think is he feels he really isn’t what he was ,as some have suggested. I certainly wouldn’t take a discount to play in front of probably the most bigoted fans, and city in the United states.

2. ThinMan - Mar 31, 2010 at 10:34 PM

dp, your comment clearly illustrates your own ignorance.

3. Curious George - Mar 31, 2010 at 10:36 PM

Beckett’s annual salary will exceed Lackey’s, albeit for one less year. Both now have their own bragging rights (highest annual salary, highest total salary) and faces have been saved all around.

4. Jackson - Mar 31, 2010 at 10:53 PM

DP…you sir are a moron

5. gleas27 - Mar 31, 2010 at 10:59 PM

dp, not true on both counts. 1.) Beckett would be getting more per year than Lackey. 2.) I am an all-Boston fan and NOT a bigot and don’t believe your gross over-generalization.

6. yankeh8r - Mar 31, 2010 at 11:00 PM

u truly are a moron

7. RCS - Mar 31, 2010 at 11:14 PM

Beckett, Lackey, whatever. This new contract doesn’t do anything to bring them any closer to the Yankees. What they need is OFFENSE – not another four years with a pitcher that has surely had his best days.

8. RCS - Mar 31, 2010 at 11:19 PM

9. Jeremy - Apr 1, 2010 at 12:02 AM

retards all of you..who cares….if there were a salary cap in the MLB they would all sux

10. dp - Apr 1, 2010 at 12:17 AM

The truth hurts doesn’t it scumbag. I hope all you degenerate red sux retards read Sports Illustrated yesterday, your retarded sux are picked to finish third. I only hope they finish last. That’s what the red sux deserve, and what their retarded, bigoted so-called fans deserve. Rot in hell ,you scumbags.

11. dp - Apr 1, 2010 at 12:20 AM

Look up moron in Websters, your family portrait will be next to it.jerk off.

12. Nasty Boy - Apr 1, 2010 at 12:23 AM

You make sense , unlike these moronic red sux idiot fans.

13. Wendall - Apr 1, 2010 at 12:38 AM

I have no respect for Beckett , he let the little gestapo Epstien make a fool of him . Paying Lackey (lacking) 82 million, and to add insult to injury gives him an extra year on the contract. Beckett , you have no balls. I hope the Yankees rip his ass apart on Sunday night. you heartless hillbilly. Beckett and the sux deserve each other,third place will suit you fine.

14. Nasty Boy - Apr 1, 2010 at 1:14 AM

I hear the little gestapo (epstein) has concerns about Beckett’s shoulder. Now not keeping up with Lackey’s (lacking) contract makes sense. I wondered why Beckett would stand for that, seeing how Lackey wasn’t the pitcher Beckett is. I think the sux think he’ll have break down issues during the season.It couldn’t happen to a more deserving team.

15. Big Harold - Apr 1, 2010 at 1:22 AM

If this is accurate then I’m amazed. It would figure that Beckett would think think he was worth at least as much as Lackey. Looking at it from the bridge on the Death Star I’d say he’s worth more because he just a better pitcher. After all they likely don’t win the WS in 07 without him. Either his agent was taking money under the table or his shoulder is a lot worse than he’s letting on and he’s headed for the DL this season and he knows it.
    Of course, it could be that he actually likes playing for the Red Sox and was willing to take less to stay. Nah, .. that ain’t it, that’s just crazy talk.

16. ChesterCheetah - Apr 1, 2010 at 2:37 AM

Let us all pray for DP…. he knows not what he knows not. You mfing imbecile!

17. GimmeSomeSteel - Apr 1, 2010 at 3:01 AM

Yeah, look at all those replicas while you sit around in your Underoos before going upstairs to dress in your Grranimals.
    BTW, we’re in the 21st century. This century’s score is Red Sox 2, Yankees 1. Who won the WS in 1952 really isn’t relevant anymore.
    And no, I’m not a Red Sox fan. You Yankee “fans” annoy the rest of us, especially when you throw your team’s past glories in as if they were relevant to a discussion about Beckett and his new contract.

18. Fontaine - Apr 1, 2010 at 6:47 AM

“I may be a moron but it sure feels good looking at the 27 championships that are displayed in my family room.”
    Wow, how did you get each of those 27 in your room.. I guess the fact that you freely admit to being a moron answers that very question. Anyone who says “I may be a moron but..” is CERTAINLY a Moron.

19. bb - Apr 1, 2010 at 8:15 AM

I don’t think you know what the word means, because Josh Beckett would not be the target of bigotry. Further one person can be a bigot, a whole region is not bigoted.

20. merged-planet - Apr 1, 2010 at 8:15 AM

I have read many of your comments and you all seem to dis-consider one point. Maybe Becket,who is not past his prime,maybe he jst wants to play for the red sox more than anything else, and money is not the big concern you make it out to be. one other thing, this team is loaded with players who can truely hit. they are mostly veteans who know what it takes to win a world series, and can do all those little things during a ball game to make tha happen.I would take 10 more wins, than ten more homeruns and lose.
    just a fe thoughts. GO SOX!!!!

21. RonBurgundy - Apr 1, 2010 at 8:18 AM

Hurry up and get the ink dry before Sunday Night Baseball….

22. stickyx2 - Apr 1, 2010 at 8:35 AM

And I wonder where you reside?

23. Bob - Apr 1, 2010 at 9:05 AM

remark like that are pure ignorance. we were told as children if you do not know what you are talking about, maybe you should keep your mouth shut. you, clearly do not kow what you are talking about!

24. Kevin - Apr 1, 2010 at 9:10 AM

Dp, you must be a Yankee fan. The racial undertones in Boston are historically documented and true, as it is with most of america in the 60’s…grow up man.
    As for Becket, he may be thinking that when he is 33 he can get a new deal for a few more years and rake in another free agency signing.

25. dp - Apr 1, 2010 at 9:43 AM

I live close to Angels Stadium where I’ve seen many moronic sux fan get their ass kicked , not only in the parking lot , but in the stands.Without a doubt the most boisterous , nasty bunch of asses I’ve ever seen. They make all the rest of the visiting teams seem like altar boys. That’s only one of many reasons. That whole organization is screwed up, with a malignant dwarf running it. I hope they finish last. As I said earlier , they’re picked third by Sports Illustrated, (do you think they know something about Becketts arm?) I hope their wrong, anywhere from fourth to last would be great.

Cubs shore up rotation with Jon Lester