Mar 31, 2010, 2:15 PM EDT
UPDATE: Denard Span tweets that his mom is doing OK.
Spring training is winding down poorly for a couple of players. In the space of about 15 minutes:
- The Phillies’ Roy Halladay gave up 4 runs, 5 hits, 3 doubles, and 1 homer to the Blue Jays, who may suddenly feel a bit better about letting Doc go in that trade; and
- The Twins’ Denard Span smacked a foul ball into the stands that hit his own mother, who was sitting just above the dugout. Mom seems to be OK — she wanted to stay at the game but left to go to the hospital for tests — but you have to figure Span is going to be grounded for a while.
And with that news, I think spring training has gone on quite long enough, thank you.
- Bryce Harper walks in all four of his plate appearances, scores four runs 0
- ESPN pulls Curt Schilling off broadcasts for rest of regular season and Wild Card game 91
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff 124
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 74
- The Marlins are going to change everything except their biggest problem this offseason 53
- Drooling over Miguel Sano’s incredible numbers through 50 career games 35
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired 105
- Settling the Scores: Tuesday’s results 81
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (266)
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff (125)
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired (105)
- David Ortiz tweets his happiness about the Deflategate decision (96)
- ESPN pulls Curt Schilling off broadcasts for rest of regular season and Wild Card game (95)