Mar 31, 2010, 2:15 PM EST
UPDATE: Denard Span tweets that his mom is doing OK.
Spring training is winding down poorly for a couple of players. In the space of about 15 minutes:
- The Phillies’ Roy Halladay gave up 4 runs, 5 hits, 3 doubles, and 1 homer to the Blue Jays, who may suddenly feel a bit better about letting Doc go in that trade; and
- The Twins’ Denard Span smacked a foul ball into the stands that hit his own mother, who was sitting just above the dugout. Mom seems to be OK — she wanted to stay at the game but left to go to the hospital for tests — but you have to figure Span is going to be grounded for a while.
And with that news, I think spring training has gone on quite long enough, thank you.
- Tony Blengino says recent report on Seattle front office is “just the tip of the iceberg” 22
- Rakuten Golden Eagles appear likely to allow Masahiro Tanaka’s departure to MLB 44
- 2013 Winter Meetings Preview 21
- Matt Kemp remains “in play” for the Red Sox 56
- Robinson Cano “didn’t want to play” for Joe Girardi 106
- Robinson Cano agrees to $240 million deal with Mariners (260)
- Yankees agree to seven-year, $153M contract with free agent outfielder Jacoby Ellsbury (160)
- Report: Mariners willing to offer Robinson Cano a 10-year, $240 million deal (143)
- Report: Yankees have agreed to a three-year deal with Carlos Beltran (125)
- Brett Gardner is drawing “significant” trade interest (111)