Mar 31, 2010, 2:15 PM EDT
UPDATE: Denard Span tweets that his mom is doing OK.
Spring training is winding down poorly for a couple of players. In the space of about 15 minutes:
- The Phillies’ Roy Halladay gave up 4 runs, 5 hits, 3 doubles, and 1 homer to the Blue Jays, who may suddenly feel a bit better about letting Doc go in that trade; and
- The Twins’ Denard Span smacked a foul ball into the stands that hit his own mother, who was sitting just above the dugout. Mom seems to be OK — she wanted to stay at the game but left to go to the hospital for tests — but you have to figure Span is going to be grounded for a while.
And with that news, I think spring training has gone on quite long enough, thank you.
- Garrett Richards suffers ugly left knee injury 16
- Giants win protest, will complete rain-halted game at Wrigley Field on Thursday afternoon 26
- Royals might actually know what they are doing 26
- Curt Schilling reveals that he was diagnosed with mouth cancer, blames smokeless tobacco 70
- Clown shoes in Chicago: the Cubs grounds crew couldn’t get the tarp on the field 58
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 69
- Tony La Russa denies that Kirk Gibson’s job is safe 22
- Pirates activate Andrew McCutchen from the disabled list 2
- Mike Matheny addresses turmoil in Ferguson: “It’s a sad situation. It’s a tough situation for our city” (127)
- Here’s today’s dose of barfy Derek Jeter sentiment (82)
- Let’s speed up the pace of play. But let’s not be gimmicky about it. Let’s just enforce the rules. (74)
- Curt Schilling reveals that he was diagnosed with mouth cancer, blames smokeless tobacco (70)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (69)