Mar 31, 2010, 2:15 PM EDT
UPDATE: Denard Span tweets that his mom is doing OK.
Spring training is winding down poorly for a couple of players. In the space of about 15 minutes:
- The Phillies’ Roy Halladay gave up 4 runs, 5 hits, 3 doubles, and 1 homer to the Blue Jays, who may suddenly feel a bit better about letting Doc go in that trade; and
- The Twins’ Denard Span smacked a foul ball into the stands that hit his own mother, who was sitting just above the dugout. Mom seems to be OK — she wanted to stay at the game but left to go to the hospital for tests — but you have to figure Span is going to be grounded for a while.
And with that news, I think spring training has gone on quite long enough, thank you.
- 2015 Preview: Philadelphia Phillies 0
- 2015 Preview: Cincinnati Reds 38
- The average Major League Baseball salary this year will be more than $4 million — a record 22
- 2015 Preview: Tampa Bay Rays 18
- The Cubs assign Kris Bryant and Addison Russell to the minors, option Javier Baez as well 70
- 2015 Preview: Arizona Diamondbacks 8
- 2015 Preview: Toronto Blue Jays 69
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 26
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (91)
- The MLBPA releases a statement on Kris Bryant, mentions possible litigation (90)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (88)