Mar 31, 2010, 8:29 AM EST
Mark Sheldon of MLB.com says its almost certain that Aroldis Chapman is going to start the season in the minor leagues as his recent back spasms simply didn’t permit him to get in enough work in order to force his way into the competition for the fifth starter’s spot, which will be won by either Mike Leake or Travis Wood.
All of which is actually pretty good from the Reds’ perspective, as Champan’s contract has an incentive clause that transforms the $5 million he’d be owed for 2013 and 2014 into a bonus if he becomes arbitration-eligible after 2012. If he becomes arb-eligible after 2013, the $3 million he’d get for 2014 alone is a bonus. So, by delaying him until mid-to-late May the Reds will save the usual year’s worth of arbitration-derived salary, plus a couple of million on top of it. Which, if you’re the Reds, ain’t exactly hay.
As for the Reds’ fifth starter race, I don’t know much about either Mike Leake or Travis Wood, but I do like the line that Red Reporter dropped on Twitter last week: it’s hard to take a Leake when you’ve got Wood.
- How Commissioner Rob Manfred Can Make Baseball More Appealing 12
- Blue Jays cut off talks for Orioles executive Dan Duquette 32
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts 103
- Yankees reject A-Rod’s apology attempt 45
- Joe Posnanski: Remembering ‘Mr. Cub,’ Ernie Banks 16
- What they’re saying about the passing of Cubs legend Ernie Banks 7
- Alex Rodriguez recently met with incoming MLB commissioner Rob Manfred 15
- Ernie Banks, one of baseball’s greatest players and greatest ambassadors has died at age 83 75
- Bud Selig: The Greatest Commissioner in the History of Baseball (144)
- Max Scherzer’s seven-year deal with Nationals worth $210 million (119)
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts (103)
- Comments of the Day: some of you guys aren’t big Bud Selig fans (77)
- The 2015 Braves have “gravitas” and “veteran leadership” and will have dirty uniforms. Just kill me now. (76)