Apr 1, 2010, 8:02 PM EDT
According to Bob Dutton of the Kansas City Star, Royals outfielder Brian Anderson told the club this afternoon that he wants to try pitching.
Anderson inked a minor league contract with the Royals worth $700,000 this winter and was hoping to earn a spot on the 25-man roster this spring as a backup outfielder. He failed to accomplish that goal and now wants to take a different route altogether.
Anderson, 28, batted .243/.328/.347 last season with four home runs and 18 RBI in 202 at-bats between the White Sox and Red Sox while flashing a decent glove in the outfield. He served as a reliever in college.
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (248)
- “They Don’t Know Henry” (167)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (125)
- There is still a racial divide in baseball (112)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (96)