Apr 1, 2010, 8:02 PM EDT
According to Bob Dutton of the Kansas City Star, Royals outfielder Brian Anderson told the club this afternoon that he wants to try pitching.
Anderson inked a minor league contract with the Royals worth $700,000 this winter and was hoping to earn a spot on the 25-man roster this spring as a backup outfielder. He failed to accomplish that goal and now wants to take a different route altogether.
Anderson, 28, batted .243/.328/.347 last season with four home runs and 18 RBI in 202 at-bats between the White Sox and Red Sox while flashing a decent glove in the outfield. He served as a reliever in college.
- So that Juan Uribe trade to the Braves is back on … 5
- Ruben Amaro apologizes for comments about fans, admits he may have been late on rebuild 16
- Jonathan Lucroy expected to rejoin the Brewers on Monday 0
- More drama in Miami: Marlins demote third base coach Brett Butler after “confusion” over signs 33
- Ruben Amaro dismisses fans who “bitch and complain” about the Phillies’ moves 70
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 67
- Reds finally shut down Devin Mesoraco seven weeks after hip injury, surgery may be needed 7
- Mike Napoli continues to kill the Angels 7
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (133)
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (132)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (96)