Apr 1, 2010, 8:02 PM EDT
According to Bob Dutton of the Kansas City Star, Royals outfielder Brian Anderson told the club this afternoon that he wants to try pitching.
Anderson inked a minor league contract with the Royals worth $700,000 this winter and was hoping to earn a spot on the 25-man roster this spring as a backup outfielder. He failed to accomplish that goal and now wants to take a different route altogether.
Anderson, 28, batted .243/.328/.347 last season with four home runs and 18 RBI in 202 at-bats between the White Sox and Red Sox while flashing a decent glove in the outfield. He served as a reliever in college.
- Albert Pujols was insulted when someone asked him if he can put up Mike Trout numbers (103)
- Is Barry Bonds really getting a “fair hearing?” (94)
- Manny Machado calls $519K salary for 2014 “disappointing” (89)
- Giants players love having Barry Bonds at spring training (87)
- Ryan Braun calls himself an “artist,” doesn’t care what fans on the road will shout at him (82)