Apr 1, 2010, 8:02 PM EDT
According to Bob Dutton of the Kansas City Star, Royals outfielder Brian Anderson told the club this afternoon that he wants to try pitching.
Anderson inked a minor league contract with the Royals worth $700,000 this winter and was hoping to earn a spot on the 25-man roster this spring as a backup outfielder. He failed to accomplish that goal and now wants to take a different route altogether.
Anderson, 28, batted .243/.328/.347 last season with four home runs and 18 RBI in 202 at-bats between the White Sox and Red Sox while flashing a decent glove in the outfield. He served as a reliever in college.
- Clayton Kershaw cleared to begin rehab assignment on Friday at High-A Rancho Cucamonga 1
- Michael Pineda ejected in second inning for pine tar on neck, facing a 10-game suspension 82
- Mark Trumbo diagnosed with stress fracture in foot 7
- Josh Johnson needs a second Tommy John surgery 21
- Sammy Sosa wasn’t invited to Wrigley Field’s 100th birthday 45
- Josh Lueke is a rapist. How often does that bear repeating? (200)
- Benches clear in Pittsburgh after the Brewers’ Carlos Gomez bat flips a third-inning triple (183)
- “They Don’t Know Henry” (169)
- Michael Pineda ejected in second inning for pine tar on neck, facing a 10-game suspension (115)
- Chipper Jones chimed in on the Carlos Gomez incident (111)