Apr 1, 2010, 10:25 AM EDT
Joe Strauss of the Post-Dispatch reports that the St. Louis Cardinals have traded Julio Lugo to the Orioles. No word on what they’re getting back, but the roster spot is plenty valuable given that the Cards would like to keep outfielders Allen Craig, Nick Stavinoha and Joe Mather on the team and, before the trade, only had two slots to use for them.
More to the point for the Cardinals, the signing of Felipe Lopez — for one MEEEELION dollars — made Lugo redundant. From Baltimore’s perspective, Lugo provides Brian Roberts insurance, as he’s been dealing with back spasms.
Pretty sensible move for everyone involved. I love efficiency.
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal 333
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 72
- Alex Rodriguez hits 659th career home run, now one shy of tying Willie Mays 45
- Max Scherzer doubtful for next start due to thumb injury 5
- Protesters converge on Oriole Park at Camden Yards 149
- It sure sounds like Adam Wainwright suffered a torn Achilles tendon on Saturday night 44
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 33
- Report: Rangers will pay Josh Hamilton less than $7 million; deal includes opt-out after two years 99
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal (334)
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (161)
- Protesters converge on Oriole Park at Camden Yards (149)
- Kelvin Herrera gets a five-game suspension; Yordano Ventura fined (133)