Apr 1, 2010, 10:25 AM EST
Joe Strauss of the Post-Dispatch reports that the St. Louis Cardinals have traded Julio Lugo to the Orioles. No word on what they’re getting back, but the roster spot is plenty valuable given that the Cards would like to keep outfielders Allen Craig, Nick Stavinoha and Joe Mather on the team and, before the trade, only had two slots to use for them.
More to the point for the Cardinals, the signing of Felipe Lopez — for one MEEEELION dollars — made Lugo redundant. From Baltimore’s perspective, Lugo provides Brian Roberts insurance, as he’s been dealing with back spasms.
Pretty sensible move for everyone involved. I love efficiency.
- Hector Olivera’s camp denies any damage to ulnar collateral ligament 3
- UPDATE: Hunter Pence out 6-8 weeks with fracture in left forearm 21
- MLBPA: leaks are from people “who want to see Josh Hamilton hurt personally and professionally” 20
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene 145
- Report: MLB panel split on rehab for Josh Hamilton; one-year suspension is in play 45
- Joc Pederson goes 2-for-2 in Cactus League debut 6
- Braves scratch Mike Minor from start with more shoulder problems 6
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” 373
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” (373)
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene (145)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (137)
- That facts of Josh Hamilton’s case should not be a matter of public record (94)
- Billy Bean responds to Daniel Murphy’s comments (90)