Apr 1, 2010, 10:25 AM EDT
Joe Strauss of the Post-Dispatch reports that the St. Louis Cardinals have traded Julio Lugo to the Orioles. No word on what they’re getting back, but the roster spot is plenty valuable given that the Cards would like to keep outfielders Allen Craig, Nick Stavinoha and Joe Mather on the team and, before the trade, only had two slots to use for them.
More to the point for the Cardinals, the signing of Felipe Lopez — for one MEEEELION dollars — made Lugo redundant. From Baltimore’s perspective, Lugo provides Brian Roberts insurance, as he’s been dealing with back spasms.
Pretty sensible move for everyone involved. I love efficiency.
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 7
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 81
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 115
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 14
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 61
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (116)
- College baseball player cut after making offensive tweet about Mo’ne Davis (115)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)