Apr 1, 2010, 10:25 AM EDT
Joe Strauss of the Post-Dispatch reports that the St. Louis Cardinals have traded Julio Lugo to the Orioles. No word on what they’re getting back, but the roster spot is plenty valuable given that the Cards would like to keep outfielders Allen Craig, Nick Stavinoha and Joe Mather on the team and, before the trade, only had two slots to use for them.
More to the point for the Cardinals, the signing of Felipe Lopez — for one MEEEELION dollars — made Lugo redundant. From Baltimore’s perspective, Lugo provides Brian Roberts insurance, as he’s been dealing with back spasms.
Pretty sensible move for everyone involved. I love efficiency.
- VIDEO: Derek Jeter passes Carl Yastrzemski for seventh on all-time hits list 14
- Ray Rice is awful, but let’s not pretend baseball has a great record on domestic violence 75
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 49
- Mariners’ interest in Matt Kemp is “very real” 29
- Astros players upset over Mark Appel’s promotion to Double-A, bullpen session in Houston 45
- Four theories about the Hall of Fame voting changes 24
- Troy Tulowitzki is visiting a sports hernia surgeon 10
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 29
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (201)
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts (165)
- Yankees acquire Chase Headley from Padres (108)
- David Ortiz passes Carl Yastrzemski on the all-time home run list — is he a Hall of Famer? (92)
- Ten years ago today the Alex Rodriguez-Jason Varitek brawl changed the narrative of the Sox-Yankees rivalry (88)