Apr 1, 2010, 9:59 AM EST
Guzman lost the starting shortstop gig to Ian Desmond and now the Nationals are planning on using him as a super utility guy, playing him at all four infield positions over the course of the season. He got his first start at second base in a game yesterday, turning two double plays and going 3 for 4.
Jim Riggleman says that Guzman will “is really going to be a big contributor to the club” in this role, but it’s also quite possible that they’re trying to showcase him for a trade with his new found versatility as his primary value. Not that it would be extreme value given that Guzman has never played an inning of major league baseball at any position other than shortstop.
- Report: Red Sox make $95 million offer to Pablo Sandoval 60
- White Sox sign Adam LaRoche to two-year, $25 million deal 32
- Report: Red Sox offer Jon Lester six years, $110-120 million 72
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” 130
- A’s sign Billy Butler to three-year, $30 million contract 84
- Cardinals reportedly joining pursuit of Jon Lester 65
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. 148
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal 157
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal (157)
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. (148)
- Blue Jays sign Russell Martin to five-year, $82 million deal (135)
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” (130)
- Sexual assualt charges reinstated against Tigers pitcher Evan Reed (128)