Apr 1, 2010, 2:45 PM EDT
Cut by the Mariners earlier this week, Ryan Garko has been claimed off waivers by the Rangers and fits as the right-handed bench bat manager Ron Washington has been clamoring for recently.
His arrival seemingly also makes the Rangers significantly less likely to trade for Mike Lowell, because Garko is every bit as good a platoon partner for the left-handed-hitting Chris Davis at first base. Over the past three seasons Garko has hit .311 with an .882 OPS versus left-handed pitching, which is nearly identical to Lowell batting .314 with an .881 OPS versus southpaws during that same span.
Garko isn’t much of a defender even at first base, whereas Lowell can play first base and third base (if healthy), but the Rangers don’t give Michael Young many days off at the hot corner anyway. And certainly Garko being seven years younger and a whole lot healthier is a big factor as well. Seattle opted to keep Mike Sweeney over Garko, which may prove to weaken the Mariners and help their division-mates in Texas.
And now the Red Sox may have to find a new trade partner for Lowell, who seems all but guaranteed to remain in Boston beyond Opening Day.
- Video: Rusney Castillo notches his first major league hit 1
- Michael Wacha cleared to return Saturday vs. Reds 0
- Marlins officially shut down Giancarlo Stanton for the season 5
- Umpire Joe West suspended for one game for his part in the Jonathan Papelbon incident 54
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 83
- Jose Altuve breaks Craig Biggio’s franchise record, tallying his 211th hit of the season 12
- Orioles beat Blue Jays to clinch AL East title 38
- Tanner Roark dominates as Nationals clinch NL East 22
- Chris Davis suspended 25 games for amphetamine use (92)
- Giancarlo Stanton diagnosed with multiple facial fractures and dental damage (91)
- Bud Selig can’t remember the last domestic violence incident in Major League Baseball (88)
- A couple of initial thoughts on the Chris Davis suspension (83)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (83)