Apr 1, 2010, 2:45 PM EDT
Cut by the Mariners earlier this week, Ryan Garko has been claimed off waivers by the Rangers and fits as the right-handed bench bat manager Ron Washington has been clamoring for recently.
His arrival seemingly also makes the Rangers significantly less likely to trade for Mike Lowell, because Garko is every bit as good a platoon partner for the left-handed-hitting Chris Davis at first base. Over the past three seasons Garko has hit .311 with an .882 OPS versus left-handed pitching, which is nearly identical to Lowell batting .314 with an .881 OPS versus southpaws during that same span.
Garko isn’t much of a defender even at first base, whereas Lowell can play first base and third base (if healthy), but the Rangers don’t give Michael Young many days off at the hot corner anyway. And certainly Garko being seven years younger and a whole lot healthier is a big factor as well. Seattle opted to keep Mike Sweeney over Garko, which may prove to weaken the Mariners and help their division-mates in Texas.
And now the Red Sox may have to find a new trade partner for Lowell, who seems all but guaranteed to remain in Boston beyond Opening Day.
- Buster Olney: The Marlins should hire A-Rod to be their next manager 26
- Breaking down the Braves-Dodgers trade 12
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 27
- So that Juan Uribe trade to the Braves is back on … 11
- Ruben Amaro apologizes for comments about fans, admits he may have been late on rebuild 23
- Jonathan Lucroy expected to rejoin the Brewers on Monday 0
- More drama in Miami: Marlins demote third base coach Brett Butler after “confusion” over signs 35
- Ruben Amaro dismisses fans who “bitch and complain” about the Phillies’ moves 70
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (133)
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (132)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (96)