Rangers likely done pursuing Mike Lowell after claiming Ryan Garko off waivers

Apr 1, 2010, 2:45 PM EDT

Cut by the Mariners earlier this week, Ryan Garko has been claimed off waivers by the Rangers and fits as the right-handed bench bat manager Ron Washington has been clamoring for recently.
His arrival seemingly also makes the Rangers significantly less likely to trade for Mike Lowell, because Garko is every bit as good a platoon partner for the left-handed-hitting Chris Davis at first base. Over the past three seasons Garko has hit .311 with an .882 OPS versus left-handed pitching, which is nearly identical to Lowell batting .314 with an .881 OPS versus southpaws during that same span.
Garko isn’t much of a defender even at first base, whereas Lowell can play first base and third base (if healthy), but the Rangers don’t give Michael Young many days off at the hot corner anyway. And certainly Garko being seven years younger and a whole lot healthier is a big factor as well. Seattle opted to keep Mike Sweeney over Garko, which may prove to weaken the Mariners and help their division-mates in Texas.
And now the Red Sox may have to find a new trade partner for Lowell, who seems all but guaranteed to remain in Boston beyond Opening Day.

1. Dave - Apr 1, 2010 at 2:59 PM

Aaron,
    What does this mean for Chris Davis’ fantasy value come draft day? I was hoping to swoop him up because he has 3b eligibility in our league, but now I’m wondering if he’ll be getting enough playing time. What are your thoughts?

2. Kid Charlemagne - Apr 1, 2010 at 3:16 PM

Garko not having the ability to play 3rd is mitigated by Chris Davis having the ability to at least fake it.

3. Nasty Boy - Apr 1, 2010 at 3:32 PM

Super, I hope the sux cut him and eat his nine million salary. I just love it when the little gestapo (epstein) gets hosed.

4. Old Gator - Apr 1, 2010 at 4:04 PM

Send him, nine million and his per diem to Scrooge McLoria. He’ll find work for him.

5. JaysFan - Apr 1, 2010 at 4:16 PM

This actually bumps Chris Davis’ fantasy value up a little bit for me. Means he won’t need to face any lefties this year, and Davis hit a pitiful 189/235/311 against LHP in 2009. His rate stats might take a minor hit, but it’s more than mitigated by the boost it’ll give his ratios.

6. RoyceTheBaseballHack - Apr 1, 2010 at 5:38 PM

Whew…every time I saw an article that even whispered at the prospect of The Rangers trading for Lowell, it made my feet sweat. I like Lowell enough, but not enough to trade for him. Garko is a much, much better fit.
    I’m still puzzled as to why Daniels hasn’t gone after Elijah Dukes, though. I haven’t been happy with The Rangers outfield solution, so far. Hamilton is showing to be prone to injuries, and I don’t see how they’ve addressed the departure of Byrd.

7. zoyd - Apr 1, 2010 at 8:18 PM

You’re calling someone named Epstein a Nazi? Think about that for a minute if you can cut through the haze of whatever you’re smoking.

This was 'the perfect baseball game'
  1. S. Kazmir (5325)