Apr 2, 2010, 1:45 PM EDT
Brandon Webb recently got a cortisone injection in his surgically repaired right shoulder and will take several days off before resuming his rehab program, according to Steve Gilbert of MLB.com.
Webb began throwing bullpen sessions in January, but experienced multiple setbacks and hasn’t pitched off a mound for several weeks. Here’s what the former Cy Young winner had to say about his current status:
It never hurt. It doesn’t feel great, but it doesn’t hurt bad. I still feel like I can’t let it go. I still feel like I’m not ready to get on the mound yet. I can’t take it to the mound. Hopefully [the cortisone injection] will get me over the hump.
Diamondbacks manager A.J. Hinch seems far less optimistic:
There are mental hurdles to clear. I think there are physical hurdles to clear in terms of the workload, and these dead periods show up from time to time in the recovery process. When to push him, when to lay back on him, when to accelerate his deals has been very hot and cold this spring. That’s the frustrating part for everybody involved. It’s been a little on again, off again. I don’t know what’s next.
It’s important to get him healthy, and we feel like based on the doctor’s report that this might be exactly what he needed. It’s been a little slower for him than anybody anticipated, but it is what it is and now we have to try and get him better. I think until he can accelerate his arm at a speed that would represent a full-speed delivery, there’s just no reason to [have him throw off a mound].
Webb hasn’t pitched since Opening Day of last season and the 31-year-old right-hander is an impending free agent after Arizona exercised its $8.5 million option rather than a $1.5 million buyout for 2010.
- The Cardinals have moved ahead of the Brewers for first place in the National League Central 13
- No-hitter! Four Phillies pitchers combine to blank the Braves 51
- Bo Porter fired by the Astros 52
- Settling the Score: Sunday’s results — and a reminder of what Labor Day is all about 45
- Reds trade setup man Jonathan Broxton to the Brewers 17
- Miguel Cabrera sits Sunday with nagging ankle injury 13
- A’s acquire veteran slugger Adam Dunn from the White Sox 54
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 18
- Could women play major league baseball? Sure. Right now, though, the deck is stacked against them. (220)
- Albert Pujols plays the “you never played the game!” card (104)
- Great Moments in Drug Testing and Punishment: The NFL Edition (101)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (75)
- Baseball is dying, you guys, because no one would recognize Mike Trout in a bar (74)