Apr 2, 2010, 1:45 PM EDT
Brandon Webb recently got a cortisone injection in his surgically repaired right shoulder and will take several days off before resuming his rehab program, according to Steve Gilbert of MLB.com.
Webb began throwing bullpen sessions in January, but experienced multiple setbacks and hasn’t pitched off a mound for several weeks. Here’s what the former Cy Young winner had to say about his current status:
It never hurt. It doesn’t feel great, but it doesn’t hurt bad. I still feel like I can’t let it go. I still feel like I’m not ready to get on the mound yet. I can’t take it to the mound. Hopefully [the cortisone injection] will get me over the hump.
Diamondbacks manager A.J. Hinch seems far less optimistic:
There are mental hurdles to clear. I think there are physical hurdles to clear in terms of the workload, and these dead periods show up from time to time in the recovery process. When to push him, when to lay back on him, when to accelerate his deals has been very hot and cold this spring. That’s the frustrating part for everybody involved. It’s been a little on again, off again. I don’t know what’s next.
It’s important to get him healthy, and we feel like based on the doctor’s report that this might be exactly what he needed. It’s been a little slower for him than anybody anticipated, but it is what it is and now we have to try and get him better. I think until he can accelerate his arm at a speed that would represent a full-speed delivery, there’s just no reason to [have him throw off a mound].
Webb hasn’t pitched since Opening Day of last season and the 31-year-old right-hander is an impending free agent after Arizona exercised its $8.5 million option rather than a $1.5 million buyout for 2010.
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned 2
- VIDEO: Derek Jeter hits first home run at Yankee Stadium this season 4
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife 83
- No, baseball does not need to “announce a domestic violence policy ASAP” 51
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 48
- Video: Rusney Castillo notches his first major league hit 7
- Michael Wacha cleared to return Saturday vs. Reds 2
- Marlins officially shut down Giancarlo Stanton for the season 6
- Chris Davis suspended 25 games for amphetamine use (92)
- Giancarlo Stanton diagnosed with multiple facial fractures and dental damage (91)
- Bud Selig can’t remember the last domestic violence incident in Major League Baseball (90)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (85)
- A couple of initial thoughts on the Chris Davis suspension (83)