Apr 2, 2010, 11:15 AM EDT
That’s what Joel Sherman of the Post says. Except, contrary to what I thought when I read his headline, he doesn’t think it was Joba Chamberlain who got short shrift, it was Sergio Mitre. Sherman suggests that Mitre’s superior spring training stats would have won him the fifth starter’s job over Hughes had things been on the up-and-up. Which assumes that you chose your starting pitchers based on spring training stats alone as opposed to the long term well-being of the team, which Hughes — and Chamberlain — represents far more than Sergio Mitre does. If Cashman had made his choice of fifth starter based on spring training stats alone he’d be doing the organization a massive disservice.
Sherman likewise calls the centerfield competition between Curtis Granderson and Brett Gardner “rigged.” Which is likewise silly because it’s not at all clear that there ever was a proper competition. The Yankees wanted to make sure Granderson could still handle center, sure, but I don’t recall anyone connected with the team declaring it an open competition. Gardner had the same chance of starting in center this year that my backup propane tank had in grilling my steaks last night: they could be deployed if necessary, but as long as the primary option was up to the job it wasn’t gonna happen.
Gardner is like my propane tank in another way too: both I and the Yankees could do better. Next spring I’m going with a proper charcoal grill. Next spring the Yankees are going with Carl Crawford. I think we’ll both be happier because of it.
- Giants acquire Jake Peavy from Red Sox 19
- Maximum stay on Hall of Fame ballot changed from 15 to 10 years 46
- Jon Lester is willing to return to the Red Sox as a free agent even if they trade him 22
- Jose Abreu is third-fastest in MLB history to reach 30 career home runs 7
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 26
- How’d he do that? Magician Maddux fooled hitters all the way to Hall 23
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 46
- MLBPA files grievance against Astros in regard to draft pick situation 35
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (200)
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts (162)
- Yankees acquire Chase Headley from Padres (108)
- Who is the next Face of Baseball? (97)
- David Ortiz passes Carl Yastrzemski on the all-time home run list — is he a Hall of Famer? (92)