Heyman: the Mariners are "lowballing" Jarrod Washburn

Apr 2, 2010, 4:10 PM EST

It’s one thing for Scott Boras to use Jon Heyman to drum up a market for one of his clients where one does not exist, but we now seem to have crossed over into a world where Heyman is actually handling the negotiations for Jarrod Washburn. From his latest column:

1. Jarrod Washburn. Washburn thrived for the Mariners last year,
going 8-6 with a 2.64 ERA for them before struggling with his knee with
the Tigers, and going 1-3 with a 7.33 ERA there. The Mariners know what
he can do but are lowballing him to this point. The Royals also are in
the bidding.

This is not reporting. This is even beyond opinion. This is straight negotiation, and combative and heavy-handed negotiation at that. But if Heyman is going to play Boras, I don’t see why I can’t play Jack Zduriencik:

“With all due respect, Scott, though we value Jarrod and think we can find a place for him on our club, we feel that his performance last year was far more a function of the defense behind him and good fortune than of his native skills.  We are also less convinced that his second half struggles were as much about his injuries as they were about regression to the mean and a reflection of his true abilities at this point in his career.

“But please, Scott, let’s keep this civil. We are not “lowballing” your client, and we resent the implication. We feel we are making him a good faith offer. If you insist on disparaging us in the media as opposed to making a counter offer, I’m afraid this negotiation will have to end.

“And, no, the Royals are not on the scene, so please stop bluffing us with that.”

Wow! Role playing is fun!

1. Ryan - Apr 2, 2010 at 4:26 PM

Again, I ask HBT to please place a moratorium on reporting / analyzing / blogging all Heyman articles, unless of course they truly do tell us something we don’t already know – I can certainly handle 1 Heyman article a year or so.

2. RickyB - Apr 2, 2010 at 4:36 PM

Doesn’t this deserve a “Lord Haw-Haw” moniker?

3. Joey B - Apr 2, 2010 at 4:37 PM

Just so we understand each other Scott Heyman, Mr. Washburn was 21-23 with a 4.52 with the LAA in the two years preceding his walk year. Perfectly mediocre. Then he had a great season in his walk year. Our idiot GM decided to reward the walk-year phenomena with a 4-year $37M contract. True to form, Washburn went 23-43 in his first three years here, with a 4.56 and a Whip of about 1.39. And oddly enough, had another great walk year. And now you want to play hardball with me?
    Good luck with the $6M KC is giving you. Mr. Bavasi doesn’t live here anymore, and your client is one of the reasons why.

4. Scott - Apr 2, 2010 at 4:59 PM

With respect to Ryan, I disagree. If a writer’s work borders on being a mouthpiece instead of staying objective, then I think it’s good for them to get called out on it.

5. J. McCann - Apr 2, 2010 at 5:23 PM

How can it be “lowballing” if Washburn is perfectly free to take one of those other large offers out there?

6. Raffy - Apr 2, 2010 at 5:57 PM

Craig,
    While I enjoy the pieces that you actually write about baseball, you are starting to resemble Bob Raissman’s New York sports column where all he does is mock other members of the media.
    Your efforts towards “outing” Heyman appear to be taking on the distinct tone of Mets fans who watch everything the Yankees do in an effort to point out flaws and enjoy the martyrdom of feeling slighted.
    I don’t have too much of an opinion either way on Heyman, but I am getting a little tired of being told that there is a big conspiracy every time the guys writes an article.
    You are doing the same thing that you are accusing Heyman of doing – telling your reader what to think, rather than reporting. As an avid sports reader, I can create my own opinion of Heyman’s writing. I look forward to your next baseball article.

7. Charles Gates - Apr 2, 2010 at 7:21 PM

Relating ‘Mets fan’ and ‘Craig’ is just plain funny.

8. GimmeSomeSteel - Apr 2, 2010 at 9:14 PM

I admire Heyman’s ability to text or Twitter while he has Boras’ wanger in his mouth.

9. Charles Gates - Apr 2, 2010 at 11:13 PM

Straight from the Sports Illustrated official BIOGRAPHY of Jon Heyman (I put it in all caps because that’s what they did), this is classic:
    As for what drives him to breaking news, Heyman says, ” I have to admit, I to love gossip.”
    However, to his credit, he does list his favorite book as Catch 22.

10. Grant - Apr 2, 2010 at 11:13 PM

I really couldn’t disagree more. I get a lot of joy out of Craig’s work, and I also respect the hell out of him as a man who found his true calling. His Heyman articles are some of the best among a lot of really excellent work.

Remember FJM? Those guys were great for calling out all those clueless boobs like Morgan, Celizic, and McCarver. Now a lot more of us are more aware of how clueless those guys are. Now Craig is pointing out how corrupt sportswriters can be, and I feel he’s doing us fans a great service.

The really crazy thing is that SI can have the biggest toady sportswriter working today and the single best sportswriter today under the same umbrella. JoePa doesn’t even lap Heyman. He started out five laps ahead and now is just increasing his lead.

11. Old Gator - Apr 3, 2010 at 12:23 AM

That’s great. He and Milo can go suck eggs together.

12. Moses Green - Apr 3, 2010 at 7:52 AM

OK already, I had the same initial reaction you did Raffy. But this latest one is really too much. It’s one thing to report the “gossip” that Boras and other agents tell him, that’s part of his job. But even I, Moses Green, stand here now and say “I was wrong, Craig was right. Mea maxima culpa.”
    The thing is, he watches this stuff more closely than most of us can, and even Moses Green now believes that Heyman is no mere gossipy butterfly, but is in fact the early, with-strings Pinocchio to Boras’ Geppetto.

13. willmose - Apr 3, 2010 at 9:26 AM

Craig, don’t all you guys make your living by being shills for agents, MLB, organizations and players? All you are pointing out is that Heyman knows who is buttering his bread right now. Reality check, I could live quite well on half of the low ball offer.

14. Old Gator - Apr 3, 2010 at 1:22 PM

Is there any truth to the rumor that Boras got Heyman a pair of black net stockings, a toy poodle and a merkin for his birthday?

15. Old Gator - Apr 3, 2010 at 1:33 PM

More like the Jimminy Cricket to Boras’ Pinocchio. And Roberto Benigni’s Pinocchio at that.

Cubs shore up rotation with Jon Lester