Apr 2, 2010, 4:10 PM EDT
It’s one thing for Scott Boras to use Jon Heyman to drum up a market for one of his clients where one does not exist, but we now seem to have crossed over into a world where Heyman is actually handling the negotiations for Jarrod Washburn. From his latest column:
1. Jarrod Washburn. Washburn thrived for the Mariners last year,
going 8-6 with a 2.64 ERA for them before struggling with his knee with
the Tigers, and going 1-3 with a 7.33 ERA there. The Mariners know what
he can do but are lowballing him to this point. The Royals also are in
This is not reporting. This is even beyond opinion. This is straight negotiation, and combative and heavy-handed negotiation at that. But if Heyman is going to play Boras, I don’t see why I can’t play Jack Zduriencik:
“With all due respect, Scott, though we value Jarrod and think we can find a place for him on our club, we feel that his performance last year was far more a function of the defense behind him and good fortune than of his native skills. We are also less convinced that his second half struggles were as much about his injuries as they were about regression to the mean and a reflection of his true abilities at this point in his career.
“But please, Scott, let’s keep this civil. We are not “lowballing” your client, and we resent the implication. We feel we are making him a good faith offer. If you insist on disparaging us in the media as opposed to making a counter offer, I’m afraid this negotiation will have to end.
“And, no, the Royals are not on the scene, so please stop bluffing us with that.”
Wow! Role playing is fun!
- The Nationals extend their winning streak to 10 games with another walk-off victory 7
- Garrett Richards out 6-9 months with torn patellar tendon 11
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. 88
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 81
- Garrett Richards suffers ugly left knee injury 28
- Giants win protest, will complete rain-halted game at Wrigley Field on Thursday afternoon 46
- Royals might actually know what they are doing 33
- Curt Schilling reveals that he was diagnosed with mouth cancer, blames smokeless tobacco 72
- Mike Matheny addresses turmoil in Ferguson: “It’s a sad situation. It’s a tough situation for our city” (127)
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. (92)
- Here’s today’s dose of barfy Derek Jeter sentiment (82)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (81)
- Let’s speed up the pace of play. But let’s not be gimmicky about it. Let’s just enforce the rules. (74)