John Smoltz: "I just don't miss playing"

Apr 2, 2010, 11:00 AM EDT

John Smoltz hasn’t made his retirement official, but between accepting the broadcasting job and the following quote, there ain’t no way he’s coming back:

“I think my desire
to come back last year was to show myself I can still play. I proved
that to myself, and I think I’m ready to move on with my life . . . I just don’t miss
playing. I thought I would, but I don’t.”

And with that we can officially close the books on the Doyle Alexander trade. I think the Braves won it.

1. BC - Apr 2, 2010 at 11:27 AM

7 more years until the Champions Tour.

2. mgflolox - Apr 2, 2010 at 12:04 PM

A great pitcher and a class act all the way, I’ll miss seeing him pitch. The HOF awaits, John.

3. Matt M - Apr 2, 2010 at 12:25 PM

I can still play. I proved that to myself
    Glad to hear he proved it to himself, because I’m pretty sure I speak for most Red Sox fans when I say he didn’t prove it to us.

4. RobRob - Apr 2, 2010 at 1:11 PM

It’s easy to look back and say that Smoltz had a better career for Atlanta than Alexander did for Detroit, but you’re neglecting the fact that he was an absolute monster for the Tigers down the stretch. Detroit needed that, too. With Toronto finishing only two games back, they wouldn’t have made the postseason without him.

Most fans (especially in 1987) would have gladly given up success four to eight years down the road for a shot at immediate glory.

5. davidc45629 - Apr 2, 2010 at 1:40 PM

What are you smoking RobRob
    Smoltz:
    Cy Young Award winner (1996)
    8x All-Star selection (1989, 1992, 1993, 1996, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2007)
    World Series champion (1995)
    Led NL in wins in 1996 and 2006
    Led NL in saves in 2002
    Led NL in strikeouts in 1992 and 1996

6. Old Gator - Apr 2, 2010 at 3:21 PM

I agree, and he may not miss playing but I’ll miss watching him play. I mean, except for last year. davidc45629 , you’ve got his career creds absolutely right, but RobRob was referring specifically to his last, truly sad if not pathetic year when he couldn’t seem to face reality (nor, apparently, can he yet) about how far his skills had diminished. He was a great pitcher in his day but I really wish he had retired at the end of 2008. It hurt to watch him last year.

7. RobRob - Apr 2, 2010 at 4:56 PM

No, I’m not talking about 2009. I’m pointing out the fact that when we look back at trades and careers and value, we generally don’t think to discount the future value of all of those Cy Young awards and All-Star years. Smoltz had a hell of a career, no doubt. And it was a hell of a lot better than Doyle Alexander’s. Against this, there can be no argument.

However, those Cy Young awards and World Series championships were all many years away in 1987. The playoffs (and a 98-win season) were right there in the here-and-now.

8. Old Gator - Apr 2, 2010 at 8:23 PM

My apologies, I somehow managed to conflate your name with MattM’s post above yours. That’s what I get for going online before I’ve had my liquid pacemaker and tofu mcmuffin.

Jackie Robinson Day is bittersweet