Apr 2, 2010, 12:44 PM EST
Officially the Padres haven’t announced their Opening Day roster yet, but MLB.com’s Lyle Spencer reports that Matt Stairs has made the team as a left-handed bench bat.
Stairs is one of my favorite players in part because he takes every swing like he’s trying to murder the baseball, in part because he’s fearlessly sported a curly mullet for most his career, and in part because I’m amused by a 42-year-old who loses 40 pounds on an offseason diet after playing 17 years as a fat guy.
Stairs has had a remarkable career given that he didn’t play regularly in the majors until age 29. He homered 27, 26, and 38 times in his first three full seasons, knocking in 100 runs in 1998 and 1999, and has an .858 lifetime OPS with 30 homers per 550 at-bats against right-handed pitching.
And if Stairs can homer for the Padres, he’ll become the first player in baseball history to go deep for 12 different teams. He’s also one pinch-hit homer away from tying Cliff Johnson’s all-time record of 20.
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 32
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 303
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 51
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (303)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Report: The Yankees were “fuming” at how A-Rod handled his early arrival to spring training (114)
- Cuban prospect Yoan Moncada reportedly signs with the Red Sox for $31.5 million, plus $31.5 million in penalties (106)
- Brian Sabean says that California taxes are a hindrance to the Giants signing free agents (102)