Apr 2, 2010, 11:44 AM EST
Andrew Gallo, the man charged with killing Angels pitcher Nick Adenhart and two friends last year, has requested a change of venue for his upcoming trial because “the publicity surrounding the April 9, 2009 crash will make it hard for Gallo to get a fair trial.”
Gallo has pleaded not guilty to three counts of murder, driving under the influence of alcohol, and driving with a suspended license following a prior DUI conviction after police say he tested three times the legal blood-alcohol level when his minivan ran a red light and struck Adenhart’s car.
Three of the four people inside were killed, including the 22-year-old pitcher who just hours earlier tossed six shutout innings in his season debut. The motion to move the trial away from Orange County has a hearing scheduled for May 28 and the actual trial date has already been pushed back from this month to July.
- D’backs, Angels, White Sox agree to three-team Mark Trumbo deal 42
- Ranking MLB managers by . . . handsomeness 30
- Curtis Granderson: “A lot of people have told me real New Yorkers are Mets fans” 44
- The Phillies have told teams they’d trade Cliff Lee and Cole Hamels 53
- Mark Prior’s retirement reminds us that young pitchers will break your heart 25
- Robinson Cano agrees to $240 million deal with Mariners (260)
- Yankees agree to seven-year, $153M contract with free agent outfielder Jacoby Ellsbury (160)
- Report: Mariners willing to offer Robinson Cano a 10-year, $240 million deal (143)
- Report: Yankees have agreed to a three-year deal with Carlos Beltran (125)
- Brett Gardner is drawing “significant” trade interest (112)