Quote of the Day: Omar Minaya is optimistic

Apr 2, 2010, 9:30 AM EDT

“I am optimistic that we’re going to be healthy. I’m
optimistic that we are going to compete. I am optimistic about some of
our young players. I think what stands out about this camp is that some
of our young players have come to the front. I think that’s exciting for
the fan base in New York.”

Omar Minaya, speaking optimistically despite the fact that injuries are once again befalling his team, his starting pitchers don’t appear to be poised to compete and that the young players who are supposed to excite the fan base will be playing in Buffalo and not in Queens this season.

1. madhatters - Apr 2, 2010 at 10:08 AM

And you didn’t even mention K-Rod going back to South America for “personal reasons”. Ugueth Urbina left the Phil’s to head back to Venezuala for personal reasons a few years ago and never came back.
    I assume K-Rod isn’t going to set anyone on fire, but it’s gotta make the Mets a little nervous

2. Joey B - Apr 2, 2010 at 10:15 AM

“– Omar Minaya, speaking optimistically despite the fact that …. the young players who are supposed to excite the fan base will be playing in Buffalo and not in Queens this season.
    You’re okay up until that point. The pitching is bad, the offense mediocre, and they are an injury-prone group. But true fans have to be happy by what they’ve seen with the prospects, and should recognize it is in the bst l/t interests of the fans that they stay in AAA. As a RS fan, I’m excited about our prospects, but it won’t do me a bit of good to see any of them rushed.

3. Simon DelMonte - Apr 2, 2010 at 10:19 AM

Every fan and every GM has a right, or maybe even an obligation, to be optimistic till the first pitch is thrown. After all, there is time to be realistic but for now, I will side with Omar.

4. Tom - Apr 2, 2010 at 11:11 AM

“I am optimistic that I will still have a job after the season is over.”

5. BC - Apr 2, 2010 at 11:18 AM

OK, I’ll ask… Is Minaya a walking promo for “V” or something? Vistor from another planet, acting peacefully, but hell bent on destroying the entire franchise? Chipwich.

6. Omar Minaya - Apr 2, 2010 at 11:48 AM

I am also the Queen Of Spain!

7. Old Gator - Apr 2, 2010 at 3:09 PM

I am beginning to believe that Omar Minaya is really Muhammed Saeed al-Sahaf in drag.

8. Old Gator - Apr 2, 2010 at 3:35 PM

Don’t let’s impugn V like that. My fantasies about Jane Badler were instrumental in my recovery from my first wife.

Jackie Robinson Day is bittersweet