Apr 2, 2010, 5:42 PM EDT
Russell Martin was initially expected to miss 4-6 weeks with a groin injury suffered early in spring training, but he’s far enough ahead of schedule that manager Joe Torre now expects the 27-year-old to be ready for Opening Day:
That’s what we’re expecting right now. Once we made the commitment to play him in the regular spring-training games, we pretty much made that choice, as opposed to starting him on the DL. I’m very comfortable. I think the only thing he’ll be a little behind on is getting his rhythm and timing. But hopefully he’ll get that done shortly.
Over the past three seasons Martin logged more innings behind the plate than any other catcher, leading baseball in innings caught in both 2007 and 2009 while ranking second to Jason Kendall in 2008.
In other words, his not rushing back from what was at first deemed a fairly significant injury could have turned into a positive thing in terms of keeping him healthy and fresh all season. For his career Martin has hit .287 with an .800 OPS in the first half compared to .263 with a .744 OPS in the second half, and August and September have been his two worst months.
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 115
- Monday’s White Sox/Orioles game postponed due to ongoing protests and violence in Baltimore 155
- Cardinals confirm Adam Wainwright is done for season with torn Achilles 22
- Source: Josh Hamilton rejected a trade to a National League team because he wanted to go back to Texas 52
- Deal done: Josh Hamilton traded to the Texas Rangers for cash considerations 56
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal 356
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 88
- Alex Rodriguez hits 659th career home run, now one shy of tying Willie Mays 60
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal (356)
- Comment of the Day: do not underestimate the seriousness of the anti-DH crowd (199)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (173)
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- Monday’s White Sox/Orioles game postponed due to ongoing protests and violence in Baltimore (155)