The Red Sox are all about second chances

Apr 2, 2010, 12:15 PM EDT

As Drew wrote last night, the Sox gave Scott Schoenweis a job in the bullpen after less than a week in camp. Is this evidence that, as I mentioned in my preview, that the Sox’ bullpen is an area of concern, or are they merely taking a chance in the hopes of redeeming an obviously wounded soul?

Maybe the latter, because the Red Sox seem to be all about redemption this week, what with their choice of Keri Hilson to sing the National Anthem before Sunday night’s season opener against the Yankees. This is the same Keri Hilson who totally screwed up the anthem before the Lakers-Hawks game the other night. What, they couldn’t get Enrico Pallazzo?

Frankly, I have a lot more faith in Schoenweis.

1. Dr. Rumack - Apr 2, 2010 at 12:42 PM

What, they couldn’t get Enrico Pallazzo?

Surely you can’t be serious?

2. Craig Calcaterra - Apr 2, 2010 at 12:43 PM

I am serious. And don’t call me Shirley.

3. Old Gator - Apr 2, 2010 at 12:57 PM

Macondo is rife with botched versions of the Anthem, and why not? Most of the folks who sing it before Feesh games (a) learned to drive badly before they learned ZEnglish; (b) it’s an unsingable musical atrocity anyway, and (c) you can’t make a rhumba out of it even if you were allowed to sit down and play a cajon while you struggled with the incoherent rhyme scheme of the lyrics. If the Beanbags were truly compassionate, they would euthanize the song. It – and we – have all suffered on its account too many times.
    I recall Arturo Sandoval royally screwing up his instrumental version of the Anthem during the 2003 playoffs. When he came out alone, knowing he doesn’t sing, I figured, well, alright, at least I won’t be subjected to fifty thousand people shrieking “fre-e-e-e-e-e-e-e” at the top of their lungs like a mob of gulls with bronchitis. But he skipped about three bars of the thing, realized it too late, and had to be led off the field with a dazed look on his face. Watch for him at Fenway any time now.

4. Joey B - Apr 2, 2010 at 1:12 PM

As a RS fan, I’ll go with area of concern. Not losing sleep over it, but Achison and Schoenweiss are borderline, MDC has a 1/4 K/W ratio in ST, after finishing up poorly last year. Ramirez is also pitching poorly. There is some talent in the BP, but it really isn’t showing up right now. There’ll always be a few people having bad ST’s, and it usually doesn’t mean much, but right now, outside of Oki, no one else in the BP is standing out.

5. Big Harold - Apr 3, 2010 at 1:17 AM

Second chances or second guessing?
    The Red Sox pitching is the most over rated aspect of their team. Beckett is very good, Lester is OK and Lackey is still a question mark in the AL East. The rest of their starters are very pedestrian. Matsuzake, … please. Buchholz, good teams will eat him alive. Wakefield, I love him but aside from his ability to eat innings he’ll be lucky to be a .500 pitcher. Their pen is a disaster waiting to happen. Aside from Papelbon, who else can truly be counted upon, .. Schoenweis?
    Man, I can’t wait for Sunday night!!

The Jon Lester-Yoenis Cespedes trade is a win-win