This is going to be Andy Pettitte's last year

Apr 2, 2010, 2:15 PM EDT

Not that this is shocking news or anything, but in an interview with YES , Andy Pettitte has all but announced that he’s done after 2010:

“I can’t just keep on playing,” Pettitte said. “I need to get back
home . . . There are so many things going on back home and I’m not there. I can’t keep asking my wife to take care of everything.”

It’s a story I’m surprised you don’t hear more of in baseball. I’m sure the winters off and the $100 million helps a lot, but how anyone can maintain a stable and healthy family life with the schedule of a major league baseball player is beyond me. At the end of the day you kinda gotta be there.

In other news, this story is written by Jack Curry, late of the New York Times.  Jack Curry is a real good one, and I’m glad to see him taking to his new gig nicely.  Today marks the launch of ESPN New York.* As they did in all of the other cities where they’ve set up shop, they lured away talent from the local press to fill out the roster.  In New York they took guys like Ian O’Connor and Wallace Matthews.  I bet they wish they could have moved more quickly and gotten Curry instead.

*And thank God for that. Now the New York teams can finally get some coverage on ESPN.

1. Old Gator - Apr 2, 2010 at 2:29 PM

I knew it. He’s contracted a prion. But I won’t make an issue of that; everyone is entitled to their dignity at the end. Even Frank and Jamie McCourt.
    recaptcha: Minister Hibachi. How can you not love this? Toshiro Mifune was born to play that part.

2. jonm - Apr 2, 2010 at 2:29 PM

“Talent” is being used very loosely if it’s being used to refer to Wallace Matthews in any sense.

3. Big fan - Apr 2, 2010 at 2:34 PM

Ok – who is better Pettitte or Jack Morris?

4. Craig Calcaterra - Apr 2, 2010 at 2:36 PM

Without looking at any stats, I’m going to say Pettitte. He’s always felt like a better pitcher than Morris was. Maybe I’m wrong, but I don’t have time to check BR.com right this second.

5. BC - Apr 2, 2010 at 2:44 PM

I wish ESPN New York would take Mike Lupica. Not give him a job, just take him. Maybe lock him in a closet with a rabid, starved panther. Or assign him to give weather reports from the Bay Of Fundy.

6. Wooden U. Lykteneau - Apr 2, 2010 at 2:47 PM

Because, really, 99% of Fox Sports just isn’t enough.

7. JCD - Apr 2, 2010 at 2:56 PM

I know people hate to have this brought up all the time, but the point is still valid. My husband served in the Navy for 20 years and was gone for lots of things. It’s something I knew would happen when I married him, same I’m sure as Ms. Pettite and all the other MLB wives know when they marry their baseball player. The marriages work because we all know what we are getting into, the only difference is that, you know, the MLB husband makes millions more throughout his career which makes life a whole lot easier for them all the way around.

8. Craig Calcaterra - Apr 2, 2010 at 3:02 PM

Yeah, but his kid didn’t sign up for it, and $100 million is no substitute for having your dad there all the time. Sure, things work out it everyone works on it as it sounds like the Pettittes have, but it’s not easy.

9. Old Gator - Apr 2, 2010 at 3:16 PM

Speaking of which, I lost my virginity at 17, and if I’d stayed married to my first wife I would probably have it back by now.

10. JCD - Apr 2, 2010 at 3:32 PM

Well military kids don’t sign up for it either but they deal with it pretty well, sorry I just don’t feel bad for athletes or their kids because nobody forced them into baseball as a career, they chose it same as our military members have chosen their careers. And don’t even start with $100 million doesn’t make it any easier because living on a military base with families that had to borrow money from their friends to be able to pay for the emergency trip to the vet for the family dog, money DOES make your life easier, you still miss your loved one but at least you don’t have alot of the day to day money worries most other people have to deal with.

11. Yankees Gameday - Apr 2, 2010 at 3:42 PM

Going to really miss seeing Pettite out there, but right now AJ Burnett is the most important pitcher on the entire Yankees staff as his success or failure is going to set the tone for every game that comes after his turn in the rotation.

12. Simon DelMonte - Apr 2, 2010 at 3:47 PM

Pettitte’s one of those Yankees that I think even Mets fans like myself like. (Not sure how Bosox fans feel, though.) I wish him well in his last season, and hope he can go out with a year closer to last season than to ’08.
    As for ESPNNewYork, I like that they hired Adam Rubin, who took the worst that Omar Minaya had to offer and still stayed fairly objective about the Mets. Wally Matthews…well, as a baseball writer, he is a great boxing reporter.

13. Big Harold - Apr 3, 2010 at 12:59 AM

“Maybe lock him, (Lupica), in a closet with a rabid, starved panther.”
    I think PETA might have a problem with this. I do, .. what did panthers ever do to deserve Lupica?

14. Charles Gates - Apr 3, 2010 at 8:20 AM

Now if you pick the right cougar, Lupica might learn an entirely new perspective.

15. yankeesgameday - Apr 3, 2010 at 6:14 PM

Speaking of ESPN New York…
    Rob Parker from ESPNNewYork.com, must have been one of the first people to log on to see my article about Robinson Cano being the Most Important Yankee considering that his Friday article bears nearly the same title and utilizes many of the points I made last Wednesday in this article entitled “The Most Important Yankee”. Let’s see how quickly we see articles about Brett Gardner’s situational hitting and AJ Burnett’s control being important to keeping the bullpen fresh coming out of ESPNNewYork as well.
    Check mine out at http://yankeesgameday.blogspot.com/2010/03/most-important-yankee.html
    And his at http://sports.espn.go.com/new-york/mlb/columns/story?id=5051296
    I give him props for have fancy stats and a better research department than I do.

When home-field advantage isn't so
  1. T. Lincecum (3145)