Apr 2, 2010, 2:15 PM EDT
Not that this is shocking news or anything, but in an interview with YES , Andy Pettitte has all but announced that he’s done after 2010:
“I can’t just keep on playing,” Pettitte said. “I need to get back
home . . . There are so many things going on back home and I’m not there. I can’t keep asking my wife to take care of everything.”
It’s a story I’m surprised you don’t hear more of in baseball. I’m sure the winters off and the $100 million helps a lot, but how anyone can maintain a stable and healthy family life with the schedule of a major league baseball player is beyond me. At the end of the day you kinda gotta be there.
In other news, this story is written by Jack Curry, late of the New York Times. Jack Curry is a real good one, and I’m glad to see him taking to his new gig nicely. Today marks the launch of ESPN New York.* As they did in all of the other cities where they’ve set up shop, they lured away talent from the local press to fill out the roster. In New York they took guys like Ian O’Connor and Wallace Matthews. I bet they wish they could have moved more quickly and gotten Curry instead.
*And thank God for that. Now the New York teams can finally get some coverage on ESPN.
- Christian Vazquez to undergo Tommy John surgery 9
- 2015 Preview: Colorado Rockies 4
- 2015 Preview: Minnesota Twins 18
- 2015 Preview: Philadelphia Phillies 30
- 2015 Preview: Cincinnati Reds 47
- The average Major League Baseball salary this year will be more than $4 million — a record 22
- 2015 Preview: Tampa Bay Rays 21
- The Cubs assign Kris Bryant and Addison Russell to the minors, option Javier Baez as well 70
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (91)
- The MLBPA releases a statement on Kris Bryant, mentions possible litigation (90)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (88)