Apr 2, 2010, 2:15 PM EDT
Not that this is shocking news or anything, but in an interview with YES , Andy Pettitte has all but announced that he’s done after 2010:
“I can’t just keep on playing,” Pettitte said. “I need to get back
home . . . There are so many things going on back home and I’m not there. I can’t keep asking my wife to take care of everything.”
It’s a story I’m surprised you don’t hear more of in baseball. I’m sure the winters off and the $100 million helps a lot, but how anyone can maintain a stable and healthy family life with the schedule of a major league baseball player is beyond me. At the end of the day you kinda gotta be there.
In other news, this story is written by Jack Curry, late of the New York Times. Jack Curry is a real good one, and I’m glad to see him taking to his new gig nicely. Today marks the launch of ESPN New York.* As they did in all of the other cities where they’ve set up shop, they lured away talent from the local press to fill out the roster. In New York they took guys like Ian O’Connor and Wallace Matthews. I bet they wish they could have moved more quickly and gotten Curry instead.
*And thank God for that. Now the New York teams can finally get some coverage on ESPN.
- The Cubs to announce the hiring of Joe Maddon on Monday 17
- Cubs fire manager Rick Renteria, clear way for Joe Maddon 56
- HardballTalk’s Top 150 Free Agents for 2015 24
- Joe Maddon’s pursuit of the Cubs job called “a classless act” by some in the game 113
- Kevin Youkilis opts for retirement at age 35 31
- 10 nominees for Hall of Fame’s Veterans Committee announced 106
- Bochy’s championship resume ranks among game’s best 19
- Alex Gordon would have been a dead duck had he tried to score 82
- A veteran says enough is enough when it comes to tributes for the soldiers (281)
- Jose Canseco shot his middle finger off (148)
- Shocker! Joe Maddon to opt out of his contract and leave the Rays (142)
- Oscar Taveras dies after car accident in the Dominican Republic (140)
- Joe Maddon’s pursuit of the Cubs job called “a classless act” by some in the game (113)