Yankees-Red Sox Opening Night game to be broadcast in China

Apr 2, 2010, 9:59 AM EST

I was thinking about doing a live chat of the Yankees-Sox game on Sunday night. If I do, I had better not ask readers to Google anything for me:

For the first time, Major League Baseball’s season opener will be
televised live in China, broadcast by five outlets reaching nearly 300
million viewers, MLB announced Friday. The All-Star Game, postseason
games and “This Week in Baseball” also will be broadcast in China this
year as part of baseball’s partnerships with 90 international
broadcasters.

It’s a shame that 300 million new viewers’ first exposure to major league baseball will be a turgid, 3.5 hour stare-and-slugfest, but it’s better than nothing.

1. YankeesfanLen - Apr 2, 2010 at 10:50 AM

I LOVE a turgid 3.5 (maybe4)hour stare-and-slugfest.Except on E
    SPN. But given some broadcasting rule, this doesn’t even count as an ESPN game, so they’ll have 4 or 5 more.
    Live chat or a great moment of shameless self-promotion? You decide, I’ll drop by for a while.

2. Howell - Apr 2, 2010 at 11:01 AM

I love my Red Sox, but if you think this game is only going to be 3.5 hours your kidding yourself. The pitchers wont be going deep in the game, and the batters will be stepping out more then a philandering husband.

3. Perry - Apr 2, 2010 at 11:13 AM

Would they be better served by say Pittsburg playing Washington or maybe KC playing San Diego? Look at the bright spot for those watching in China even if the game takes 4 hours they can always tune to something else, it’s not like they are at the ball park.

4. Charles Gates - Apr 2, 2010 at 11:55 AM

NYY/Bos games are long because of the aforementioned reasons. MLB should have broadcasted a Cards game in China as LaRussa’s multiple pitching changes will result in more commercials that when multiplied across the millions of additional Chinese viewers, might have yielded a considerable increase in revenue.
    recaptcha: rackets neighborhood

5. Church of the Perpetually Outraged - Apr 2, 2010 at 12:30 PM

6. Church of the Perpetually Outraged - Apr 2, 2010 at 12:33 PM

doh encoding fail, let’s try this again

7. Old Gator - Apr 2, 2010 at 1:29 PM

I love the idea of treating China to the greatest rivalry in American sports. Build it up for Chinese television as some great blood feud with only occasional periods of dormancy. You might even induce the teams to represent the game as a metaphorical replay of the Sino-Soviet clashes along the Ussuri River back a few decades or so. Maybe issue scorecards in Chinese in little red books. How do you say “Yankees Suck” in Chinese? 美国人吮

8. YankeesfanLen - Apr 2, 2010 at 1:51 PM

Old Gator-
    Please provide “Mets Suck”, and of course “Red Sox Suck” so I may have something made up for May Day.

9. Old Gator - Apr 2, 2010 at 3:03 PM

I checked all my sources, from The People’s Szechuan Cookbook and Dictionary of the Revolution to The People’s Guide to Sports Shibboleths to The People’s Guide to Ping Pong, Baseball and Running Dogs and there’s absolutely no equivalent to “Mets Suck” or “Red Sox Suck.” On the other hand, “Yankees Suck” seems to have entered the language in 1948. I have a scratchy old recording of six or seven million ragtag Maoist troops standing on the shoreline, chanting it at the ass end of the last Nationalist boat heading east. Since no communist country ever thought of Americans as “Mets” or “Red Sox,” but found it ridiculously easy to associate the Borg with political theories about imperialism and hegemonism, “Yankees Suck” actually evolved in east Asia decades before it was used by Red Sox Nation, with whom the People’s Republic was signing illegal trade agreements through the agency of the Political Science department at Harvard and bypassing the kickbacks to Armand Hammer required by secret law at the time. According to Marcuse and Commager, through their politburo contacts, the phrase first surfaced in Boston on the black market for metaphors sometime just after the Bucky Dent dinger.
    Oops, sorry. Sometimes I get carried away and forget that I’m supposed to be retired. Just the other night, in fact, I dreamed that I was back at the University lecturing to twenty five pairs of glazed eyes of students on football scholarships at seven thirty on a Monday morning and awakened in a cold sweat.

Cubs shore up rotation with Jon Lester