Apr 3, 2010, 1:37 PM EDT
Update: Yep, still a bargain. Bastian has the deets on the three option years:
Lind’s contract: 2014 – $7 mil or $2 mil buyout,
2015 – $7.5 mil or $1 mil buyout, 2016 – $8 mil or $500K buyout
In other words, seven years, $38.5 million. Wow. Nice change of pace from the inflated deals handed out to Vernon Wells and Alex Rios, huh?
1:08 pm: Bastian writes that Lind will earn $400,000 in 2010 along with a $600,000 bonus. He’ll make exactly
$5 million in each of the 2011-13 seasons. The contract includes a $2 million buyout for the first club option in 2014, giving him $18 million
guaranteed. Still waiting for the details on the club options.
12:40 pm: According to Jordan Bastian of MLB.com, the Blue Jays have signed designated hitter Adam Lind to a four-year, $18 million contract extension. The team made the announcement at a press conference on Saturday afternoon. The extension will cover all three of his arbitration seasons.
Jon Paul Morosi of FOXSports.com reports that the deal includes club options for the 2014, 2015 and 2016 seasons. Three club options are wholly unique of and (potentially) provides the Blue Jays with quite a bit of payroll stability for the future. Kudos to Alex Anthopoulos.
Lind, 26, batted .305/.370/.562 with 35 homers, 114 RBI and a 932 OPS last season.
- Brian Matusz was ejected for having a foreign substance on his arm 8
- Josh Hamilton will join the Rangers on Monday 4
- UPDATE: David Wright diagnosed with spinal stenosis 14
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 39
- Video: Mike Trout makes a ridiculous slide to beat the tag at third base 14
- Cuba’s best pitching prospect is on his way to America 21
- Will Smith suspended for eight games for the foreign substance on his arm 62
- Will Smith’s ejection once again shows baseball’s silly approach to foreign substance rules 49
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (133)
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (131)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- GM Dan Jennings to be named the Marlins new manager. And it’s a terrible idea. (111)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)