Apr 3, 2010, 1:37 PM EDT
Update: Yep, still a bargain. Bastian has the deets on the three option years:
Lind’s contract: 2014 – $7 mil or $2 mil buyout,
2015 – $7.5 mil or $1 mil buyout, 2016 – $8 mil or $500K buyout
In other words, seven years, $38.5 million. Wow. Nice change of pace from the inflated deals handed out to Vernon Wells and Alex Rios, huh?
1:08 pm: Bastian writes that Lind will earn $400,000 in 2010 along with a $600,000 bonus. He’ll make exactly
$5 million in each of the 2011-13 seasons. The contract includes a $2 million buyout for the first club option in 2014, giving him $18 million
guaranteed. Still waiting for the details on the club options.
12:40 pm: According to Jordan Bastian of MLB.com, the Blue Jays have signed designated hitter Adam Lind to a four-year, $18 million contract extension. The team made the announcement at a press conference on Saturday afternoon. The extension will cover all three of his arbitration seasons.
Jon Paul Morosi of FOXSports.com reports that the deal includes club options for the 2014, 2015 and 2016 seasons. Three club options are wholly unique of and (potentially) provides the Blue Jays with quite a bit of payroll stability for the future. Kudos to Alex Anthopoulos.
Lind, 26, batted .305/.370/.562 with 35 homers, 114 RBI and a 932 OPS last season.
- Mariners fire general manager Jack Zduriencik 0
- Pedro Martinez wonders if bad chemistry is the reason the Tigers and Mariners are out of contention 17
- Vote of non-confidence: Reds owner says manager Bryan Price won’t be fired before the season is over 7
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 57
- Denard Span headed back to DL with hip inflammation, unlikely to return this season 6
- Report: Barry Bonds loses collusion case against MLB 40
- Jessica Mendoza to sit in for Curt Schilling on Sunday Night Baseball this week 80
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 78
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (199)
- Curt Schilling taken off of Little League World Series duty for making a really bad tweet (169)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (134)
- Phillies announcer calls Mets fans “obnoxious” (122)
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (121)