Apr 3, 2010, 1:37 PM EDT
Update: Yep, still a bargain. Bastian has the deets on the three option years:
Lind’s contract: 2014 – $7 mil or $2 mil buyout,
2015 – $7.5 mil or $1 mil buyout, 2016 – $8 mil or $500K buyout
In other words, seven years, $38.5 million. Wow. Nice change of pace from the inflated deals handed out to Vernon Wells and Alex Rios, huh?
1:08 pm: Bastian writes that Lind will earn $400,000 in 2010 along with a $600,000 bonus. He’ll make exactly
$5 million in each of the 2011-13 seasons. The contract includes a $2 million buyout for the first club option in 2014, giving him $18 million
guaranteed. Still waiting for the details on the club options.
12:40 pm: According to Jordan Bastian of MLB.com, the Blue Jays have signed designated hitter Adam Lind to a four-year, $18 million contract extension. The team made the announcement at a press conference on Saturday afternoon. The extension will cover all three of his arbitration seasons.
Jon Paul Morosi of FOXSports.com reports that the deal includes club options for the 2014, 2015 and 2016 seasons. Three club options are wholly unique of and (potentially) provides the Blue Jays with quite a bit of payroll stability for the future. Kudos to Alex Anthopoulos.
Lind, 26, batted .305/.370/.562 with 35 homers, 114 RBI and a 932 OPS last season.
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. 43
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM 69
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 39
- Rangers activate Josh Hamilton from disabled list, send prospect Joey Gallo to Triple-A 12
- Huston Street says he’d retire if he was used like a 1970s-style fireman 48
- CC Sabathia looks like a reliever 28
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 58
- AL All-Star voting update: now “only” five Royals in the starting lineup 59
- With the same-sex marriage decision, the San Francisco Giants get another big win (276)
- Joe Maddon is the latest manager to rip instant replay. He’s got a point. (110)
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- There was a super ump show in Chicago yesterday (75)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (75)