Apr 3, 2010, 1:37 PM EDT
Update: Yep, still a bargain. Bastian has the deets on the three option years:
Lind’s contract: 2014 – $7 mil or $2 mil buyout,
2015 – $7.5 mil or $1 mil buyout, 2016 – $8 mil or $500K buyout
In other words, seven years, $38.5 million. Wow. Nice change of pace from the inflated deals handed out to Vernon Wells and Alex Rios, huh?
1:08 pm: Bastian writes that Lind will earn $400,000 in 2010 along with a $600,000 bonus. He’ll make exactly
$5 million in each of the 2011-13 seasons. The contract includes a $2 million buyout for the first club option in 2014, giving him $18 million
guaranteed. Still waiting for the details on the club options.
12:40 pm: According to Jordan Bastian of MLB.com, the Blue Jays have signed designated hitter Adam Lind to a four-year, $18 million contract extension. The team made the announcement at a press conference on Saturday afternoon. The extension will cover all three of his arbitration seasons.
Jon Paul Morosi of FOXSports.com reports that the deal includes club options for the 2014, 2015 and 2016 seasons. Three club options are wholly unique of and (potentially) provides the Blue Jays with quite a bit of payroll stability for the future. Kudos to Alex Anthopoulos.
Lind, 26, batted .305/.370/.562 with 35 homers, 114 RBI and a 932 OPS last season.
- The Cubs grounds crew was short staffed because the Cubs were trying to avoid Obamacare 136
- Cuban outfielder Rusney Castillo to sign with the Red Sox for $72 million 83
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 29
- The Nationals extend their winning streak to 10 games with another walk-off victory 12
- Garrett Richards out 6-9 months with torn patellar tendon 14
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. 92
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 82
- Garrett Richards suffers ugly left knee injury 28
- The Cubs grounds crew was short staffed because the Cubs were trying to avoid Obamacare (175)
- Mike Matheny addresses turmoil in Ferguson: “It’s a sad situation. It’s a tough situation for our city” (127)
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. (92)
- Cuban outfielder Rusney Castillo to sign with the Red Sox for $72 million (85)
- Here’s today’s dose of barfy Derek Jeter sentiment (82)