Apr 3, 2010, 1:37 PM EST
Update: Yep, still a bargain. Bastian has the deets on the three option years:
Lind’s contract: 2014 – $7 mil or $2 mil buyout,
2015 – $7.5 mil or $1 mil buyout, 2016 – $8 mil or $500K buyout
In other words, seven years, $38.5 million. Wow. Nice change of pace from the inflated deals handed out to Vernon Wells and Alex Rios, huh?
1:08 pm: Bastian writes that Lind will earn $400,000 in 2010 along with a $600,000 bonus. He’ll make exactly
$5 million in each of the 2011-13 seasons. The contract includes a $2 million buyout for the first club option in 2014, giving him $18 million
guaranteed. Still waiting for the details on the club options.
12:40 pm: According to Jordan Bastian of MLB.com, the Blue Jays have signed designated hitter Adam Lind to a four-year, $18 million contract extension. The team made the announcement at a press conference on Saturday afternoon. The extension will cover all three of his arbitration seasons.
Jon Paul Morosi of FOXSports.com reports that the deal includes club options for the 2014, 2015 and 2016 seasons. Three club options are wholly unique of and (potentially) provides the Blue Jays with quite a bit of payroll stability for the future. Kudos to Alex Anthopoulos.
Lind, 26, batted .305/.370/.562 with 35 homers, 114 RBI and a 932 OPS last season.
- Mariners sign Corey Hart 14
- David Price would not consider an extension with the Mariners if he’s traded there 31
- Media paying for athlete interviews? Not likely. But watch this stuff closely anyway. 18
- Rockies acquire Brett Anderson from A’s 12
- D’backs, Angels, White Sox agree to three-team Mark Trumbo deal 65
- Robinson Cano agrees to $240 million deal with Mariners (260)
- Report: Mariners willing to offer Robinson Cano a 10-year, $240 million deal (143)
- Report: Yankees have agreed to a three-year deal with Carlos Beltran (125)
- Brett Gardner is drawing “significant” trade interest (113)
- Managers, GMs to meet today to discuss the abolition of home plate collisions (112)