Apr 3, 2010, 5:08 PM EST
Coco Crisp will begin the season on the disabled list after he suffered a fractured left pinky finger during Friday’s game against the Giants, according to CSN California, by way of Susan Slusser of the San Francisco Chronicle.
He injured the finger while sliding into second base. It’s not yet known how long he’ll be out of action, though Slusser estimates that it could be for as little as 10 days.
Crisp, who was signed to a one-year, $5.25 million contract last December, is already recovering from surgery on both of his shoulders, but was also bothered by a strained left hamstring during camp. The 30-year-old outfielder batted .228/.336/.378 with three home runs, 14 RBI, 13 stolen bases and 30 runs scored in 49 games with the Royals last season.
Slusser believes that Travis Buck is the most likely replacement for Crisp on the roster, providing the Athletics with an extra outfielder. That’s might be a pretty good idea, because as currently constructed, Jack Cust is the current fourth outfielder on the squad. And as we all know, UZR (Ultimate Zone Rating) and Cust don’t get along too well. Landon Powell and Adam Rosales, who was acquired from the Reds over the winter, are also possibilities to make the team.
- Yasmany Tomas signs a six-year, $68.5 million deal with the Diamondbacks 86
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap 162
- Red Sox announce four-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, DFA Juan Francisco 35
- The Cubs have offered Jon Lester “north of $135 million” 68
- Pablo Sandoval’s deal: five years, $98 million plus an option 43
- Kyle Seager, Mariners close to $100 million extension 26
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot 286
- So what would the Red Sox look like with Hanley Ramirez and Pablo Sandoval? 49
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot (286)
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap (162)
- More Hall of Fame ballots like Adam Rubin’s please (138)
- Report: Pablo Sandoval chose the Red Sox over the Giants because he felt disrespected (137)
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical (133)