Apr 3, 2010, 5:08 PM EDT
Coco Crisp will begin the season on the disabled list after he suffered a fractured left pinky finger during Friday’s game against the Giants, according to CSN California, by way of Susan Slusser of the San Francisco Chronicle.
He injured the finger while sliding into second base. It’s not yet known how long he’ll be out of action, though Slusser estimates that it could be for as little as 10 days.
Crisp, who was signed to a one-year, $5.25 million contract last December, is already recovering from surgery on both of his shoulders, but was also bothered by a strained left hamstring during camp. The 30-year-old outfielder batted .228/.336/.378 with three home runs, 14 RBI, 13 stolen bases and 30 runs scored in 49 games with the Royals last season.
Slusser believes that Travis Buck is the most likely replacement for Crisp on the roster, providing the Athletics with an extra outfielder. That’s might be a pretty good idea, because as currently constructed, Jack Cust is the current fourth outfielder on the squad. And as we all know, UZR (Ultimate Zone Rating) and Cust don’t get along too well. Landon Powell and Adam Rosales, who was acquired from the Reds over the winter, are also possibilities to make the team.
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 10
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 63
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 12
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 111
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 14
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 57
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- Cardinals add “OT” patch for Oscar Taveras 76
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (116)
- College baseball player cut after making offensive tweet about Mo’ne Davis (115)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (112)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (88)