Apr 3, 2010, 5:08 PM EST
Coco Crisp will begin the season on the disabled list after he suffered a fractured left pinky finger during Friday’s game against the Giants, according to CSN California, by way of Susan Slusser of the San Francisco Chronicle.
He injured the finger while sliding into second base. It’s not yet known how long he’ll be out of action, though Slusser estimates that it could be for as little as 10 days.
Crisp, who was signed to a one-year, $5.25 million contract last December, is already recovering from surgery on both of his shoulders, but was also bothered by a strained left hamstring during camp. The 30-year-old outfielder batted .228/.336/.378 with three home runs, 14 RBI, 13 stolen bases and 30 runs scored in 49 games with the Royals last season.
Slusser believes that Travis Buck is the most likely replacement for Crisp on the roster, providing the Athletics with an extra outfielder. That’s might be a pretty good idea, because as currently constructed, Jack Cust is the current fourth outfielder on the squad. And as we all know, UZR (Ultimate Zone Rating) and Cust don’t get along too well. Landon Powell and Adam Rosales, who was acquired from the Reds over the winter, are also possibilities to make the team.
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 32
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 307
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 52
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (307)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (129)
- Ichiro is happy to be away from Joe Girardi (88)
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” (86)