Apr 3, 2010, 5:08 PM EDT
Coco Crisp will begin the season on the disabled list after he suffered a fractured left pinky finger during Friday’s game against the Giants, according to CSN California, by way of Susan Slusser of the San Francisco Chronicle.
He injured the finger while sliding into second base. It’s not yet known how long he’ll be out of action, though Slusser estimates that it could be for as little as 10 days.
Crisp, who was signed to a one-year, $5.25 million contract last December, is already recovering from surgery on both of his shoulders, but was also bothered by a strained left hamstring during camp. The 30-year-old outfielder batted .228/.336/.378 with three home runs, 14 RBI, 13 stolen bases and 30 runs scored in 49 games with the Royals last season.
Slusser believes that Travis Buck is the most likely replacement for Crisp on the roster, providing the Athletics with an extra outfielder. That’s might be a pretty good idea, because as currently constructed, Jack Cust is the current fourth outfielder on the squad. And as we all know, UZR (Ultimate Zone Rating) and Cust don’t get along too well. Landon Powell and Adam Rosales, who was acquired from the Reds over the winter, are also possibilities to make the team.
- The Athletics have a travel-heavy 2016 schedule and unsuccessfully tried to have it altered 5
- Mariners fire general manager Jack Zduriencik 58
- Pedro Martinez wonders if bad chemistry is the reason the Tigers and Mariners are out of contention 46
- Vote of non-confidence: Reds owner says manager Bryan Price won’t be fired before the season is over 21
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 86
- Denard Span headed back to DL with hip inflammation, unlikely to return this season 10
- Report: Barry Bonds loses collusion case against MLB 40
- Jessica Mendoza to sit in for Curt Schilling on Sunday Night Baseball this week 80
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (248)
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (200)
- Curt Schilling taken off of Little League World Series duty for making a really bad tweet (169)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (134)
- Phillies announcer calls Mets fans “obnoxious” (122)