Apr 3, 2010, 9:51 AM EDT
Jeff Francis, who was slated to pitch the second game of the season against the Brewers, is headed to the 15-day disabled list because of pain below his left armpit. The 29-year-old left-hander missed the entire 2009 season due to shoulder surgery. He told Jim Armstrong of the Denver Post that he began feeling the pain after tossing five scoreless innings against the Cubs on Thursday.
“It’s hurting pretty bad, but not like
before,” said Francis. “I don’t know if that’s good news or bad. I threw
the ball (Thursday) in a way I hadn’t thrown it in a long time. It was
probably taxing on my shoulder and it probably wasn’t ready for it.
Needless to say, I’m pretty disappointed.”
Francis hasn’t yet gone for an MRI, but the pain was so significant that he was not able to play catch on flat ground on Friday. It’s a frustrating setback for the former 17-game winner.
While Francis is sidelined, left-hander Greg Smith is expected to take his place in the rotation. Smith, who was acquired along with Huston Street and Carlos Gonzalez from the Athletics in the Matt Holliday trade, has a 1.50 ERA and 18/6 K/BB ratio over 18 innings this spring.
- Report: Zack Wheeler expected to make 2-3 starts in minors before joining Mets 9
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 103
- Astros vendor brings snow cones into bathroom stall, gets fired 55
- Don Mattingly will still be the Dodgers’ manager on Friday 18
- Jake Westbrook feeling lingering discomfort in right elbow 8
- MLB is putting players in camouflage uniforms on Memorial Day. Which is kinda weird. (117)
- Barry Bonds: Miguel Cabrera is the best … but not as good as me (113)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (103)
- Las Vegas police investigating Jose Canseco as a suspect in sexual assault case (79)
- Albert Pujols doesn’t matter anymore (74)
- WATCH LIVE: Wings-Hawks, Game 4
- PHT: Rangers live another day, edge Bruins in OT
- PBT: Hibbert says Battier's knee to groin intentional
- OlyTalk: Lochte says Phelps will return soon
- CSN: Francona returns to Boston | Legacy?
- Tebow fact: He reminds Chuck Norris of Chuck Norris
- LeBron stuns Pacers with OT winner in Game 1