Apr 3, 2010, 9:49 PM EDT
Dan Woike of the Orange County Register reports that Angels left-hander Scott Kazmir is going to open the 2010 season on the 15-day disabled list.
Kazmir, acquired from the Rays last season, was scratched from a scheduled start last Thursday with shoulder soreness, which has cut into his ability to get properly stretched out for the start of the regular season. He should be ready to go after the first week or two and might only miss one scheduled start.
The 26-year-old southpaw went 10-9 last season with a 4.89 ERA, 1.42 WHIP and 117 strikeouts in 147 1/3 innings between Tampa Bay and Anaheim. The Halos are hoping he will step it up this year in the absence of John Lackey.
- Orioles acquire Kelly Johnson from the Red Sox 5
- Orioles acquire Alejandro De Aza from the White Sox 5
- Bryce Harper is 15th player in MLB history to reach 50 career homers before age-22 season 30
- The Dodgers took the shift to the extreme last night 47
- VIDEO: Jorge Soler hits two long home runs in third major league game 20
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 18
- Mariners end Jesus Montero’s season 37
- Troy Tulowitzki says he’ll retire before he switches positions 32
- Could women play major league baseball? Sure. Right now, though, the deck is stacked against them. (220)
- Forgiveness for Pete Rose? Not in this lifetime (146)
- Albert Pujols plays the “you never played the game!” card (104)
- Great Moments in Drug Testing and Punishment: The NFL Edition (101)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (75)