Apr 3, 2010, 9:49 PM EDT
Dan Woike of the Orange County Register reports that Angels left-hander Scott Kazmir is going to open the 2010 season on the 15-day disabled list.
Kazmir, acquired from the Rays last season, was scratched from a scheduled start last Thursday with shoulder soreness, which has cut into his ability to get properly stretched out for the start of the regular season. He should be ready to go after the first week or two and might only miss one scheduled start.
The 26-year-old southpaw went 10-9 last season with a 4.89 ERA, 1.42 WHIP and 117 strikeouts in 147 1/3 innings between Tampa Bay and Anaheim. The Halos are hoping he will step it up this year in the absence of John Lackey.
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 22
- Masahiro Tanaka diagnosed with partially-torn UCL in elbow 76
- Yadier Molina to miss 8-12 weeks with a torn thumb ligament 30
- Carlos Beltran placed on concussion disabled list after batting practice mishap 16
- Derek Jeter is the most popular MLB jersey this year 16
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 52
- The Rockies “aren’t looking around very hard” for a trade of star shortstop Troy Tulowitzki 29
- Jury finds the Dodgers partially negligent, awards $18 million to Bryan Stow 48
- Shocker: the Red Sox publicly criticize A.J. Pierzynski after cutting him (188)
- John Lackey on Nelson Cruz: “Not even going to comment … I’ve got nothing to say about him” (143)
- The 2014 All-Star rosters have been announced (103)
- Giants broadcaster says Angel Hernandez “does not belong in the big leagues” (101)
- David Ortiz is not pleased that his name got pulled into the John Lackey-Nelson Cruz thing (99)