Apr 3, 2010, 9:49 PM EST
Dan Woike of the Orange County Register reports that Angels left-hander Scott Kazmir is going to open the 2010 season on the 15-day disabled list.
Kazmir, acquired from the Rays last season, was scratched from a scheduled start last Thursday with shoulder soreness, which has cut into his ability to get properly stretched out for the start of the regular season. He should be ready to go after the first week or two and might only miss one scheduled start.
The 26-year-old southpaw went 10-9 last season with a 4.89 ERA, 1.42 WHIP and 117 strikeouts in 147 1/3 innings between Tampa Bay and Anaheim. The Halos are hoping he will step it up this year in the absence of John Lackey.
- Royals sign Edinson Volquez for two years, $20 million 15
- Rays, Padres, Nationals agree to 11-player trade 74
- Sergio Romo re-signs with the Giants for $15 million 13
- So, apparently we’re sweating the Matt Kemp physical now 45
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba 140
- Marlins complete Michael Morse deal: two years, $16 million 18
- Padres, Rays, Mariners discussing trade involving Wil Myers 36
- It is perfectly clear that A-Rod is the Yankees’ DH. At best. So there will be no drama, right? 37
- Baseball’s highest-ranking Hispanic woman employee sues for discrimination (163)
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba (140)
- Cubs, Red Sox, Dodgers, Padres, Rangers, and Astros interested in Phillies’ Cole Hamels (110)
- Done Deal: Yoenis Cespedes and two players traded to Detroit for Rick Porcello and a minor leaguer (105)
- Chase Headley signs a four-year deal with the Yankees worth at least $52 million. (95)