Apr 4, 2010, 3:18 PM EDT
Janie McCauley of the Associated Press (via NBCSports.com) reports that the Mariners have placed left-hander Cliff Lee on the 15-day disabled list to start the season as he continues his recovery from an abdominal strain.
Lee enjoyed a pain-free throwing session late last week and is making progress toward a return, but the M’s have not revealed any sort of timetable. Since he hasn’t begun throwing from a mound, we can probably write him off for at least the first two weeks of the regular season. A return before the end of April would, of course, be a real positive for Seattle.
The 31-year-old southpaw went 14-13 last season with a 3.22 ERA, 1.24 WHIP and 181 strikeouts in 231 2/3 innings between Cleveland and Philadelphia. He should enjoy the spacious confines of Safeco Field once he’s able to regain his health.
- Report: Zack Wheeler expected to make 2-3 starts in minors before joining Mets 13
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 112
- Astros vendor brings snow cones into bathroom stall, gets fired 55
- Don Mattingly will still be the Dodgers’ manager on Friday 18
- Jake Westbrook feeling lingering discomfort in right elbow 8
- MLB is putting players in camouflage uniforms on Memorial Day. Which is kinda weird. (117)
- Barry Bonds: Miguel Cabrera is the best … but not as good as me (113)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (112)
- Las Vegas police investigating Jose Canseco as a suspect in sexual assault case (80)
- Albert Pujols doesn’t matter anymore (74)
- Watch LIVE: Sharks-Kings, Game 5
- PHT: Wings push Hawks to brink of elimination
- PHT: Kreider keeps Rangers alive | Highlights
- PBT: Hibbert says Battier's knee to groin intentional
- OlyTalk: Lochte says Phelps will return soon
- CSN: Francona returns to Boston | Legacy?
- Posnanski: Hornets more than a name to Charlotte