Apr 4, 2010, 1:14 PM EDT
UPDATE: Cust told Slusser on Sunday that he thinks the A’s made a bad move by giving up on him. It sure sounds like he would rather move on to another club:
“I think it’s messed up,” Cust said. “They’re going to go on 50 at-bats
after three years of what I’ve done here? It’s ridiculous. A lot of
other guys have had bad springs. This is a joke. … The fact is, this team has no power and they’ve just released a guy
who (averaged 28 homers) the last three years. That’s amazing.”
Cust went 11-for-51 this spring (.216) with one home run and three RBI.
8:20pm: Susan Slusser of the San Francisco Chronicle has been all over the A’s news beat this afternoon and passes along this interesting tweet:
Cust to be designated. That’s what I’m hearing but
it’s not official by any means.
Slusser, of course, is talking about Jack Cust, the man who hit .240/.356/.417 last season with 25 home runs and 70 RBI and was re-signed to a $2.65 million contract this winter. He lacks versatility and all, but it sure seems like the guy would be useful as a DH or late-innings pinch-hitter for Oakland this season. If he is cast off, you can bet that a few teams will be phoning Athletics general manager Billy Beane.
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (234)
- The Red Sox are still steamed that a PED guy played against them in the playoffs last year (130)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (125)
- There is still a racial divide in baseball (106)
- Must-Click Link: Yasiel Puig’s harrowing journey to the United States (95)