Apr 4, 2010, 3:41 PM EDT
UPDATE: Langosch notes that Vazquez wasn’t actually released, just designated for assignment. The Pirates now have 10 days to find a trade partner for him or grant him his release. He can also accept an assignment to Triple-A Indianapolis.
The 33-year-old strung together an ugly .176/.243/.176 batting line in 34 at-bats this spring with zero extra-base hits and seven strikeouts. He was thought to be in line for a utility infield spot this season, but the Bucs have opted to fill their bench with guys like outfielder John Raynor, and infielders Delwyn Young and Bobby Crosby.
Vazquez is a .254 career hitter with a 678 OPS and will have a difficult time finding a spot on a big league roster with Opening Night just hours away.
- Cliff Lee placed on DL with recurrence of flexor pronator strain 13
- Winners and losers at the trade deadline 17
- 2014 Trade Deadline Tracker 48
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers 134
- Red Sox trade John Lackey to Cardinals for Allen Craig and Joe Kelly 88
- The Lester trade is a win-win 112
- Jon Lester, Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes 165
- The State of the Trade Deadline: Yesterday was pretty sleepy. Will general managers wake up today? 40
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (199)
- Jon Lester, Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes (165)
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers (134)
- Rangers’ retirement gifts for Derek Jeter: Yankees cowboy boots, signed George W. Bush photo (126)
- The Lester trade is a win-win (112)