Apr 5, 2010, 11:50 AM EST
This is the place I want to be at. I want to be here. This team is
obviously going in the right direction. I’m all for it. That’s why I
don’t want to deter anybody away. I like being here.
But Buster reported a few minutes ago that there are no talks happening between Dunn and the Nats at all. Which, given (a) Dunn’s enthusiasm; and (b) the fact that it’s usually the team, and not the player, who has no problem negotiating once the season begins, one would assume the Nats are giving Dunn the high hat. Maybe they don’t like the fact that he ends his sentences with prepositions.
Seriously, though, I’d have a hard time getting my brain around a Dunn extension if I was a National League general manager. I love his bat, obviously, but you have to figure the Nats want to make sure he can play at first base all year before unloading the money truck. I mean, he’s played a lot there, sure, but this is supposedly the first year he has really committed to it.
So, yeah, big year for Dunn.
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts 22
- Yankees reject A-Rod’s apology attempt 16
- Joe Posnanski: Remembering ‘Mr. Cub,’ Ernie Banks 15
- What they’re saying about the passing of Cubs legend Ernie Banks 7
- Alex Rodriguez recently met with incoming MLB commissioner Rob Manfred 15
- Ernie Banks, one of baseball’s greatest players and greatest ambassadors has died at age 83 75
- Sean Doolittle has a “slight” rotator cuff tear, won’t be ready for Opening Day 4
- Ryan Vogelsong re-signs with Giants after flirting with Astros 17
- Bud Selig: The Greatest Commissioner in the History of Baseball (143)
- Max Scherzer’s seven-year deal with Nationals worth $210 million (119)
- Comments of the Day: some of you guys aren’t big Bud Selig fans (77)
- The 2015 Braves have “gravitas” and “veteran leadership” and will have dirty uniforms. Just kill me now. (76)
- Ernie Banks, one of baseball’s greatest players and greatest ambassadors has died at age 83 (75)