Adam Dunn and the Nationals aren't talking extension

Apr 5, 2010, 11:50 AM EDT

Adam Dunn headshot.jpgStories all over the place in recent days about Adam Dunn wanting to stay in D.C.  Dunn is certainly saying the right things:

This is the place I want to be at. I want to be here. This team is
obviously going in the right direction. I’m all for it. That’s why I
don’t want to deter anybody away. I like being here.

But Buster reported a few minutes ago that there are no talks happening between Dunn and the Nats at all.  Which, given (a) Dunn’s enthusiasm; and (b) the fact that it’s usually the team, and not the player, who has no problem negotiating once the season begins, one would assume the Nats are giving Dunn the high hat. Maybe they don’t like the fact that he ends his sentences with prepositions.

Seriously, though, I’d have a hard time getting my brain around a Dunn extension if I was a National League general manager. I love his bat, obviously, but you have to figure the Nats want to make sure he can play at first base all year before unloading the money truck. I mean, he’s played a lot there, sure, but this is supposedly the first year he has really committed to it.

So, yeah, big year for Dunn.

1. Anon - Apr 5, 2010 at 11:58 AM

Dunn might as well tell Mike Rizzo, “Look into their heart!” A trade is much more likely than an extension.

2. Ari Collins - Apr 5, 2010 at 12:00 PM

Not only would the Nats not benefit as much as an AL team from a three-year Dunn deal, but they also wouldn’t benefit as much as a team that had any hope of winning during those three years. Just a terrible, terrible, terrible, terrible idea.

3. Anon - Apr 5, 2010 at 12:11 PM

That should be “Look into your heart!” I blew the joke.

4. Carroll - Apr 5, 2010 at 12:41 PM

You cut out a crucial part of “all the right things.” It should be noted, historical stuff is one of the intangibles of baseball in DC, there’s no stat for it. (Also, Mark Teixeira hates history = unAmerican activity.)
    “I like the historical stuff. You are not going to find anything like that in the world. It’s awesome. It’s a cool city. I wish I had more time to spend here to visit all that stuff. It’s nice.” -Big Donkey

5. JBerardi - Apr 5, 2010 at 1:45 PM

That ain’t friendly, Nats. Adam Dunn makes you a nice offer, you give him the high hat.

Seriously though, can we just make this guy a DH already? What’s it going to take? I have no idea why the Nats haven’t cashed him in for prospects yet.

6. Old Gator - Apr 5, 2010 at 4:40 PM

If this blog induces just one more person to watch Miller’s Crossing for the first time, it will have served its karmic purpose.
    Meanwhile, those of us in the know can have fun counting Craig’s references to it. Kinda like counting the Ninas in the Hirschfield caricatures, remember?

Three legends off to Cooperstown