Apr 5, 2010, 1:42 PM EDT
Not only did Jim Edmonds earn a spot on the Brewers at age 39 after sitting out all of last season, he’s in their Opening Day lineup starting in place of Corey Hart in right field and batting fifth behind Prince Fielder.
Hart was brutal this spring, batting 11-for-64 (.172) with 18 strikeouts while Edmonds went 14-for-48 (.292) with two homers and four doubles, and getting an extra left-handed bat into the lineup against Rockies right-hander Ubaldo Jimenez no doubt played a part in manager Ken Macha’s decision as well.
During his career Jimenez has held righties to a .220 batting average and .624 OPS compared to a .248 batting average and .715 OPS from lefties. Similarly, over the past three seasons Hart has an .861 OPS against lefties compared to .778 against righties, and prior to sitting out last year Edmonds posted a robust .882 OPS versus righties in 2008.
In other words, starting Edmonds over Hart in right field today probably gives the Brewers a slightly better chance to beat Jimenez and the Rockies, but given that Hart has been their everyday right fielder for the past three years and Edmonds didn’t play at all in 2009 it certainly qualifies as an Opening Day surprise by Macha.
- The Cubs assign Kris Bryant and Addison Russell to the minors, option Javier Baez as well 54
- 2015 Preview: Arizona Diamondbacks 5
- 2015 Preview: Toronto Blue Jays 65
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 24
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 88
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 118
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (89)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (88)