Apr 5, 2010, 1:15 PM EDT
Brewers’ owner Mark Attansio just told the assembled Milwaukee beat writing brigade that the team is having ongoing “discussions” with Prince Fielder regarding a contract extension. No word if there have been offers exchanged or anything.
Not that anyone should fret if they’re not talking money yet. First contact was made on this subject during spring training, which is fairly unprecedented for a Boras client so far from free agency. The fact that anything is happening is unusual for him, which suggests to me that either Fielder is strongly urging his agent to talk to the Brewers because he wants to stay there, that Boras and Fielder are mindful of the potentially tough market for first basemen after the 2011 season, or both.
- Manny Machado calls $519K salary for 2014 “disappointing” 0
- Kris Medlen leaves game with right forearm strain 18
- Cardinals sign Cuban middle infielder Aledmys Diaz to a four-year major league contract 60
- Cardinals and Matt Carpenter agree to a six-year, $52 million extension 12
- Jet Blue Park is absolutely incredible 59
- Ian Kinsler hopes Rangers go 0-162, calls GM a “sleazeball” (132)
- Albert Pujols was insulted when someone asked him if he can put up Mike Trout numbers (103)
- The politics of “The Cardinal Way” (67)
- Brandon Phillips: “How the [expletive] am I declining?” (61)
- Reporter calls Ian Kinsler as self-absorbed as A-Rod (60)