Apr 5, 2010, 1:15 PM EST
Brewers’ owner Mark Attansio just told the assembled Milwaukee beat writing brigade that the team is having ongoing “discussions” with Prince Fielder regarding a contract extension. No word if there have been offers exchanged or anything.
Not that anyone should fret if they’re not talking money yet. First contact was made on this subject during spring training, which is fairly unprecedented for a Boras client so far from free agency. The fact that anything is happening is unusual for him, which suggests to me that either Fielder is strongly urging his agent to talk to the Brewers because he wants to stay there, that Boras and Fielder are mindful of the potentially tough market for first basemen after the 2011 season, or both.
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” 201
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 32
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 307
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (307)
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” (196)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (136)
- Ichiro is happy to be away from Joe Girardi (88)