Apr 5, 2010, 8:18 PM EDT
Just don’t call it a setback. According to what Rockies general manager Dan O’Dowd told Troy E. Renck of the Denver Post, Huston Street was simply seeking a second opinion on his nagging right shoulder.
“Everything looked great. I was told they
didn’t see any issues at all, so we are going to keep doing the same
thing with him,” O’Dowd said after the Rockies’ 5-3 opening day win over
Milwaukee. “He wanted a second opinion and everything came back good.”
Street has already suffered multiple setbacks due to inflammation on his right shoulder this spring. According to Renck, Street plans to push ahead with his current program of strengthening the shoulder. He’ll have to progress to playing catch and throwing bullpen sessions before he embarks on a minor league rehab assignment. Given his previous setbacks, we shouldn’t count on him jumping these hurdles before the start of May.
In the interim, Franklin Morales will continue to serve as closer. Not surprisingly, the young left-hander was shaky in his first save opportunity against the Brewers on Monday, hitting Rickie Weeks and throwing a wild pitch, however he was eventually able to shut the door. He’ll make things interesting over the next few weeks, but Morales has the powerful stuff to dominate.
- Blue Jays manager John Gibbons will return in 2015 0
- HBT Daily: Why did Frank Wren get the axe? 2
- John Schuerholz defines “The Braves Way.” And it’s a pretty big pile of crap. 57
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 26
- Frank Wren fired as Braves GM, John Hart to take over on an interim basis 42
- AND DOWN THE STRETCH THEY COME! Sizing up the final week of the regular season 36
- Must-Click Link: Derek Jeter opens up. Seriously, he really does. 46
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 58
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (124)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (107)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- Giants CEO Larry Baer thinks advertisements on uniforms are coming soon (89)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (85)