Apr 5, 2010, 8:18 PM EDT
Just don’t call it a setback. According to what Rockies general manager Dan O’Dowd told Troy E. Renck of the Denver Post, Huston Street was simply seeking a second opinion on his nagging right shoulder.
“Everything looked great. I was told they
didn’t see any issues at all, so we are going to keep doing the same
thing with him,” O’Dowd said after the Rockies’ 5-3 opening day win over
Milwaukee. “He wanted a second opinion and everything came back good.”
Street has already suffered multiple setbacks due to inflammation on his right shoulder this spring. According to Renck, Street plans to push ahead with his current program of strengthening the shoulder. He’ll have to progress to playing catch and throwing bullpen sessions before he embarks on a minor league rehab assignment. Given his previous setbacks, we shouldn’t count on him jumping these hurdles before the start of May.
In the interim, Franklin Morales will continue to serve as closer. Not surprisingly, the young left-hander was shaky in his first save opportunity against the Brewers on Monday, hitting Rickie Weeks and throwing a wild pitch, however he was eventually able to shut the door. He’ll make things interesting over the next few weeks, but Morales has the powerful stuff to dominate.
- Reminder: even though the trade deadline has passed, trades can still happen 0
- Settling the Scores: Saturday’s results 9
- Lucas Duda’s last eight hits have been home runs 9
- Report: Larry Lucchino stepping down as president and CEO of the Red Sox 29
- Clayton Kershaw blanks the Angels over eight innings, runs consecutive scoreless innings streak to 37 19
- Clayton Kershaw and Mike Trout make MLB history in Saturday’s matchup 13
- Matt Williams on Bryce Harper’s ejection: “He needs to stay in the baseball game” 42
- UPDATE: C.J. Wilson needs elbow surgery and will likely miss the rest of the season 14
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (188)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (112)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s (95)
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects (92)