Apr 5, 2010, 8:18 PM EST
Just don’t call it a setback. According to what Rockies general manager Dan O’Dowd told Troy E. Renck of the Denver Post, Huston Street was simply seeking a second opinion on his nagging right shoulder.
“Everything looked great. I was told they
didn’t see any issues at all, so we are going to keep doing the same
thing with him,” O’Dowd said after the Rockies’ 5-3 opening day win over
Milwaukee. “He wanted a second opinion and everything came back good.”
Street has already suffered multiple setbacks due to inflammation on his right shoulder this spring. According to Renck, Street plans to push ahead with his current program of strengthening the shoulder. He’ll have to progress to playing catch and throwing bullpen sessions before he embarks on a minor league rehab assignment. Given his previous setbacks, we shouldn’t count on him jumping these hurdles before the start of May.
In the interim, Franklin Morales will continue to serve as closer. Not surprisingly, the young left-hander was shaky in his first save opportunity against the Brewers on Monday, hitting Rickie Weeks and throwing a wild pitch, however he was eventually able to shut the door. He’ll make things interesting over the next few weeks, but Morales has the powerful stuff to dominate.
- Yasmany Tomas signs a six-year, $68.5 million deal with the Diamondbacks 86
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap 162
- Red Sox announce four-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, DFA Juan Francisco 35
- The Cubs have offered Jon Lester “north of $135 million” 68
- Pablo Sandoval’s deal: five years, $98 million plus an option 43
- Kyle Seager, Mariners close to $100 million extension 26
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot 286
- So what would the Red Sox look like with Hanley Ramirez and Pablo Sandoval? 49
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot (286)
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap (162)
- More Hall of Fame ballots like Adam Rubin’s please (138)
- Report: Pablo Sandoval chose the Red Sox over the Giants because he felt disrespected (137)
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical (133)