Apr 5, 2010, 8:18 PM EST
Just don’t call it a setback. According to what Rockies general manager Dan O’Dowd told Troy E. Renck of the Denver Post, Huston Street was simply seeking a second opinion on his nagging right shoulder.
“Everything looked great. I was told they
didn’t see any issues at all, so we are going to keep doing the same
thing with him,” O’Dowd said after the Rockies’ 5-3 opening day win over
Milwaukee. “He wanted a second opinion and everything came back good.”
Street has already suffered multiple setbacks due to inflammation on his right shoulder this spring. According to Renck, Street plans to push ahead with his current program of strengthening the shoulder. He’ll have to progress to playing catch and throwing bullpen sessions before he embarks on a minor league rehab assignment. Given his previous setbacks, we shouldn’t count on him jumping these hurdles before the start of May.
In the interim, Franklin Morales will continue to serve as closer. Not surprisingly, the young left-hander was shaky in his first save opportunity against the Brewers on Monday, hitting Rickie Weeks and throwing a wild pitch, however he was eventually able to shut the door. He’ll make things interesting over the next few weeks, but Morales has the powerful stuff to dominate.
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene 7
- Report: MLB panel split on rehab for Josh Hamilton; one-year suspension is in play 14
- Joc Pederson goes 2-for-2 in Cactus League debut 4
- Braves scratch Mike Minor from start with more shoulder problems 2
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” 359
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 33
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” (359)
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (307)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (137)
- John Baker, Jeremy Brown, coal mines and class (80)
- Billy Bean responds to Daniel Murphy’s comments (73)