Apr 5, 2010, 4:15 PM EDT
Watching Pedro lob up last night’s first pitch while wearing a baggy jersey and a pair of old man slacks gave off the impression of a man retired. Not so, says Pedro:
Pedro Martinez did not exactly light up the radar guns with his
ceremonial first pitch, or lob, last night at the Red Sox-Yankees opener
but he has every intention of cranking his 38-year-old body up for
another major-league contract this coming season . . . He expects to start throwing on a program this coming week with the
intent of signing a similar type of deal that he got done with
Philadelphia. The Phillies could wind up being his destination this
season as well but as he said earlier today, “We’ll see what happens
I like the rent-a-Pedro model much more than I liked rent-a-Clemens back when the Rocket did it. If Clemens had worked out all winter and committed to the season you get the sense that he could have done better during those last two years. With Pedro, you just know he can’t hold up to a whole season anymore, so why even try?
All that said, I’m not at all certain that Martinez gets the deal he wants. There was a lot of smoke and mirrors with Philly last year. His race might just be run.
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 45
- Zack Wheeler goes six scoreless innings in MLB debut 15
- The San Jose lawsuit against Major League Baseball should be thrown out of court 43
- San Jose sues Major League Baseball, challenging its monopoly power 26
- Original Biogenesis source: “the people running Major League Baseball are the biggest scumbags on Earth” 41
- MLB hands down the suspensions for Tuesday night’s Dodgers-Diamondbacks melee (111)
- Neil deGrasse Tyson explains why beanball wars are stupid (104)
- Democrats beat the Republicans 22-0 in the Congressional Baseball Game (98)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (97)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (88)
- Heat rally to beat Spurs in Game 6
- PBT: After blowing lead, can Spurs rebound in Game 7?
- CSN: Report: Hernandez 'not ruled out' as suspect
- PHT: Can Blackhawks solve Rask in Game 4?
- PST: On-fire Altidore lifts USA over Honduras in WCQ
- Underseeded? Nadal draws No. 5 at Wimbledon
- CSN: Celtics-Clippers KG, Rivers trade talks dead