President Obama throws out first pitch

Apr 5, 2010, 2:15 PM EDT

The President threw out the first pitch at the Phillies-Nats game a little over an hour ago.  You can see video of it here, at least until Major League Baseball’s lawyers go and shut down the Sporting News for what I presume is some retransmitting and/or rebroadcasting the descriptions and/or accounts of the game without express written consent.  In the meantime, a couple of observations:

• When I saw the Nationals jacket I was prepared to call the nation’s most famous White Sox fan a flip flopper;
  • When I saw him break out the Sox cap, I was once again pleased with our nation’s leader.  It would have been better if he ripped off the Nats jacket to reveal a Gordon Beckham jersey, thrown the jacket on the ground and then spit on it, but we’ll take what we can get;
  • I have no idea why he wore the glove. Was he expecting a comebacker? Are his mechanics so delicate that he has to have the glove so as not to throw off his weight distribution during his windup?
  • The ball as juuuuuuust a bit high.  Beats bouncing it, sure, but Michelle had better get him breathing through his eyelids stat, because that stuff won’t play in the show, Meat.

Can you call the President “Meat?”  Yeah, I think you can.

1. Moses Green - Apr 5, 2010 at 2:38 PM

Amateur theatrics and hometown representing: A+
    Pitching: D+, really not good
    Overall experience: Almost Beeblebroxian greatness. I half expected him to then stun the entire crowd and steal the Heart of Gold.

2. dlf - Apr 5, 2010 at 2:42 PM

Craft southpaw … and he’s only 1 year older than Jamie Moyer. Perhaps the Nats could use him as a LOOGY.

3. Alex - Apr 5, 2010 at 2:58 PM

forgive my ignorance, but aren’t the service members lined up supposed to salute the CiC? Do they not have to salute if they are not on active duty?

4. Tor Eckman - Apr 5, 2010 at 3:00 PM

I think we have found someone with a weaker arm than Johnny Damon…

5. Charles Gates - Apr 5, 2010 at 3:00 PM

I’m not what you’d consider a fan of Obama’s presidency, in fact I’d be pretty much the opposite. However, I think the decision to wear the ChiSox cap was pretty effin awesome. I’ll give him his due credit for his team loyalty and looking like he had a genuinely good time with the first pitch.

6. Alex - Apr 5, 2010 at 3:02 PM

also, dig the love he showed the umpires. Awesome.

7. Utley's hair - Apr 5, 2010 at 3:02 PM

He obviously wore the glove for the big ChiSox cap reveal. I’m waiting for the inevitable right-wing slams on his leftist delivery. But I think he was trying to get environmentalists up in arms by aiming for Screech back there.

8. Andy II - Apr 5, 2010 at 3:07 PM

He needed the glove to hide the hat, I think. But god, what a display. This is why I love baseball.

9. tadthebad - Apr 5, 2010 at 3:13 PM

“Meat”… in 2012!

10. RobRob - Apr 5, 2010 at 3:21 PM

Maybe he was trying to hit the mascot.

11. Chris Simonds - Apr 5, 2010 at 3:29 PM

So far as ripping of the jacket to reveal…. etc. – remember, he’s supposed to be all studious and technocratic – No Drama Obama.

12. Jonny5 - Apr 5, 2010 at 3:31 PM

Of course he tosses with his left………. Anyway, what a freaking blowout so far………

13. Michael - Apr 5, 2010 at 4:20 PM

Interesting crowd response: cheers erupt first, followed by knee-jerk boos. Cheers get louder, boos react by trying to get louder. (Crowd mics placed near what sounds like one male/female couple booing lustily. Maybe Joe Wilson and his wife?)
    Then he puts the Sox cap on and the crowd finds common ground.

14. JE - Apr 5, 2010 at 5:25 PM

I was at the Nats game and there was a healthy mix of cheers and boos when the President walked onto the field. (Then again, the Phillies fans near me were so classy that they booed the President’s Race.) One thing seems clear: either POTUS thinks that pitching is like shooting free throws or he throws like a little girl.

15. Utley's hair - Apr 5, 2010 at 5:57 PM

Let’s get something straight here. The fans were booing that lame ass MASCOTS race. They were not booing the president’s race, as you stated. Whether that was intentional or not, there is no reason to villify Phightins Phans any more than we already are, albeit mostly unearned. Like any team–I’m looking at you, Yankers, BooSux and Mutts fans–Philly has some bad apples, but most of us are not like that.

16. JE - Apr 5, 2010 at 6:06 PM

LOL!!! Yeah, that was an interesting choice of words. You are correct: it was the Presidential Mascot race! (Still, WTF was up with the booing of the mascots? And I wonder how many of those Philly fans plan on sticking around in DC for tomorrow’s Donovan McNabb press conference?)

17. JE - Apr 5, 2010 at 6:23 PM

18. Utley's hair - Apr 5, 2010 at 6:42 PM

That trade was the Eagles’ way of trying to knock the Phils off the back page by overshadowing the Phils’ opener. That franchise cant stand not being the focus of attention. It was an incredibly idiotic way of doing it, but they did it anyway. Trading the best QB we ever had in the slightly-past-prime of his career was bad enough, but to a division rival? It’s a good thing Joe Banner got his extension before the deal. The trade is Reid/Banner’s way of competing with Amaro’s Lee deal–it’ll either cement their place in history as geniuses, or they’ll be ridden out of town on a rail.

19. gary - Apr 5, 2010 at 10:35 PM

He throws like a girl.
    Despite claiming to be a White Sox fan, he can’t name any past White Sox players.

20. President Obama's Pitching Czar - Apr 27, 2010 at 1:56 AM

This girl can really throw!
    In the wake of President Obama’s lackluster Opening Season “First Pitch” for the Washington Nationals Game, rumors have been circling the globe that President Obama is in need of a “PITCHING CZAR” in order to fix his throw and for him to regain his title of “Most Athletic President in U.S. History”. Fixing President Obama’s throw is “Change that Democrats, Independents and Republicans CAN ALL BELIEVE IN.”
    Check out the following hilarious video where a “Girl in High Heels and a Skirt Offers to Fix President Obama’s Throw”.
    Here’s the link: