Apr 5, 2010, 6:15 PM EDT
Maybe not officially or anything, but the big slide in the Coke bottle at AT&T Park may not be around much longer:
The famous Coca-Cola bottle slide at the
San Francisco Giants’ waterfront ballpark is becoming known for another reason: lawsuits. The team, which starts
its season Monday, is facing a $6 million suit by Chad Mello, who
injured his left knee and ankle in July 2008 on the slide, which shoots
people through a green, 60-foot Coke bottle via metal tubes.
At least 55 people have
been injured on the slide, known as the Guzzler, which failed two safety
inspections in recent years, the Giants said.
I was dismissive of the risks when the first lawsuit was filed a couple of years ago — and I haven’t seen the lawsuits or the evidence, so who knows if this Mello guy has a case — but if that many people are busting their ankles on the thing, it just might be inherently dangerous.
In other news, ballparks are for baseball games. Not carnival rides and other assorted amusements.
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff 96
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 66
- The Marlins are going to change everything except their biggest problem this offseason 51
- Drooling over Miguel Sano’s incredible numbers through 50 career games 35
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired 104
- Settling the Scores: Tuesday’s results 81
- Yankees reveal Mark Teixeira’s shin injury is “more than we thought” 16
- There’s a chicken pox outbreak in the Royals’ clubhouse and multiple players are infected 28
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (266)
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired (104)
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff (97)
- Why Mike Mussina keeps getting hosed in the Hall of Fame voting (89)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (87)