Apr 5, 2010, 10:55 AM EST
The Daily News’ Flip Bondy took a tour of the Mets’ new Hall of Fame inside Citi Field, and it sounds pretty nice:
It’s hard to be pompous when you have the Mets’ modest history.
Luckily, that isn’t the feel or intent of this Hall of Fame, which has a
refreshing, lighthearted feel. The Mets aren’t the Yankees. They don’t hit you over the head with their
two championship teams, with their eulogies, or with their
pronouncements about being the greatest sports franchise in the world.
That would be silly, instead of fun. And this museum is a lot of fun.
There’s something about the words “Hall of Fame” that causes everyone’s sphincters to tighten. Cooperstown does a good job because it’s dealing with the weight of all of baseball history, but most other halls of fame I’ve visited — baseball and otherwise — seem to go way too heavy and serious. The Rock and Roll Hall of Fame may be the worst one around. When you’re taking torn up jeans and scrawled lyric sheets that once belonged to the Clash and displaying them in hermetically-sealed glass cases in a pristine and antiseptic room, you’ve sort of lost the connection to the history you’re trying to venerate.
The Mets’ place sounds fun. Which, recent drama notwithstanding, the Mets usually have been throughout their history. Good for them for getting it right.
- MLB, NPB nearing new posting system agreement 4
- Report: Talks between the Mets and Curtis Granderson have “intensified” 28
- Yankees agree to seven-year, $153M contract with free agent outfielder Jacoby Ellsbury 155
- Marlins sign free agent catcher Jarrod Saltalamacchia to three-year, $21 million contract 42
- Carlos Beltran likely to land with the Royals? 17
- Yankees agree to seven-year, $153M contract with free agent outfielder Jacoby Ellsbury (158)
- When will the Yankees regret the Jacoby Ellsbury contract? (91)
- Yankees’ Jacoby Ellsbury signing to pay big dividends… for now (79)
- Robinson Cano met with the Mariners in Seattle (79)
- Robinson Cano says he never asked for $300 million (69)