Apr 5, 2010, 10:55 AM EDT
The Daily News’ Flip Bondy took a tour of the Mets’ new Hall of Fame inside Citi Field, and it sounds pretty nice:
It’s hard to be pompous when you have the Mets’ modest history.
Luckily, that isn’t the feel or intent of this Hall of Fame, which has a
refreshing, lighthearted feel. The Mets aren’t the Yankees. They don’t hit you over the head with their
two championship teams, with their eulogies, or with their
pronouncements about being the greatest sports franchise in the world.
That would be silly, instead of fun. And this museum is a lot of fun.
There’s something about the words “Hall of Fame” that causes everyone’s sphincters to tighten. Cooperstown does a good job because it’s dealing with the weight of all of baseball history, but most other halls of fame I’ve visited — baseball and otherwise — seem to go way too heavy and serious. The Rock and Roll Hall of Fame may be the worst one around. When you’re taking torn up jeans and scrawled lyric sheets that once belonged to the Clash and displaying them in hermetically-sealed glass cases in a pristine and antiseptic room, you’ve sort of lost the connection to the history you’re trying to venerate.
The Mets’ place sounds fun. Which, recent drama notwithstanding, the Mets usually have been throughout their history. Good for them for getting it right.
- 2014 Trade Deadline Tracker 2
- The Lester trade is a win-win 84
- BLOCKBUSTER: Jon Lester and Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes 145
- The State of the Trade Deadline: Yesterday was pretty sleepy. Will general managers wake up today? 40
- Cardinals acquire Justin Masterson from Indians 49
- There’s a “very good chance” the Red Sox trade Lackey and Lester 53
- Hey, Rube: Phillies pay dearly for Amaro’s misguided loyalty 91
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 57
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (201)
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (199)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Jon Lester and Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes (145)
- Rangers’ retirement gifts for Derek Jeter: Yankees cowboy boots, signed George W. Bush photo (119)
- Must-click link: sexual depravity — and possibly rape — in the minor leagues (105)