Apr 5, 2010, 9:25 AM EDT
Jerry Manuel announced the Mets’ Opening Day lineup yesterday. Here it is:
1. SS Alex Cora
2. 2B Luis Castillo
3. 3B David Wright
4. 1B Mike Jacobs
5. LF Jason Bay
6. CF Gary Matthews Jr.
7. RF Jeff Francoeur
8. C Rod Barajas
9. SP Johan Santana
In other words, Omar Minaya just gave $66 million to a guy and his manager is hitting him behind Mike Jacobs. If this is the regular lineup going forward, Bay is going to walk approximately 237 times this year. He won’t see a strike until his fall bowling league starts.
And while I have hurled mucho hate at Jeff Francoeur in my time, he is hitting way too low in this lineup. And where’s Angel Pagan?
The Mets haven’t played an inning yet and they’re already screwing up.
- Report: Cubs calling up prospect infielder Addison Russell 0
- Jonathan Lucroy headed to disabled list with broken toe 5
- Reds manager Bryan Price goes on profanity-laden tirade against media 44
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 75
- Report: Marlins manager Mike Redmond is on the hot seat 40
- Five Royals ejected in Sunday’s series finale against the Athletics 88
- White Sox will promote Carlos Rodon on Monday 14
- Another one bites the dust: Mets lose young catcher Travis d’Arnaud to fractured right hand 14
- The Commissioner’s Office thinks that the Angels could indeed go after Josh Hamilton under his contract (153)
- “We no longer need the terrorists. We’re now so good at terrorizing ourselves.” (143)
- Another argument in favor of making the DH universal (129)
- When it comes to Josh Hamilton, Arte Moreno is a craven opportunist, not a “smart businessman” (116)
- Joe Buck has a truly awful suggestion about how to improve MLB broadcasts (109)