Apr 5, 2010, 9:25 AM EDT
Jerry Manuel announced the Mets’ Opening Day lineup yesterday. Here it is:
1. SS Alex Cora
2. 2B Luis Castillo
3. 3B David Wright
4. 1B Mike Jacobs
5. LF Jason Bay
6. CF Gary Matthews Jr.
7. RF Jeff Francoeur
8. C Rod Barajas
9. SP Johan Santana
In other words, Omar Minaya just gave $66 million to a guy and his manager is hitting him behind Mike Jacobs. If this is the regular lineup going forward, Bay is going to walk approximately 237 times this year. He won’t see a strike until his fall bowling league starts.
And while I have hurled mucho hate at Jeff Francoeur in my time, he is hitting way too low in this lineup. And where’s Angel Pagan?
The Mets haven’t played an inning yet and they’re already screwing up.
- Not so fast! Dodgers-Marlins trade for Mat Latos “could be falling apart” 52
- The Tigers are going to “reboot;” plan to trade Price and Cespedes 48
- Why do managers wear uniforms anyway? 42
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 51
- Astros “making a strong effort” for Phillies ace Cole Hamels 32
- Angels acquire outfielders David Murphy and David DeJesus 24
- Jenrry Mejia gets 162-game ban for second failed PED test 52
- Nationals, Phillies agree to Jonathan Papelbon trade 65
- The MLBPA is considering withholding cooperation with ESPN, Fox over Colin Cowherd’s comments (157)
- The Cubs are in discussions with the Phillies on Cole Hamels (146)
- Colin Cowherd wonders how baseball can be considered “complicated” if Dominicans can understand it (129)
- Major League Baseball rips Colin Cowherd in an official statement (123)
- Settling the Scores: Wednesday’s results (106)