Apr 5, 2010, 9:25 AM EST
Jerry Manuel announced the Mets’ Opening Day lineup yesterday. Here it is:
1. SS Alex Cora
2. 2B Luis Castillo
3. 3B David Wright
4. 1B Mike Jacobs
5. LF Jason Bay
6. CF Gary Matthews Jr.
7. RF Jeff Francoeur
8. C Rod Barajas
9. SP Johan Santana
In other words, Omar Minaya just gave $66 million to a guy and his manager is hitting him behind Mike Jacobs. If this is the regular lineup going forward, Bay is going to walk approximately 237 times this year. He won’t see a strike until his fall bowling league starts.
And while I have hurled mucho hate at Jeff Francoeur in my time, he is hitting way too low in this lineup. And where’s Angel Pagan?
The Mets haven’t played an inning yet and they’re already screwing up.
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene 56
- Report: MLB panel split on rehab for Josh Hamilton; one-year suspension is in play 23
- Joc Pederson goes 2-for-2 in Cactus League debut 4
- Braves scratch Mike Minor from start with more shoulder problems 3
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” 360
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 33
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” (360)
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (307)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (137)
- John Baker, Jeremy Brown, coal mines and class (80)
- Billy Bean responds to Daniel Murphy’s comments (76)