Apr 5, 2010, 8:30 AM EST
Here’s a question for you: Which of the following people who participated in last night’s festivities seemed the most awkward and out-of-place?
- Neil Diamond, wearing a “keep the Dodgers in Brooklyn” jacket that’s only a half-century too late;
- Pedro Martinez, throwing the first pitch out as if he were all retired and everything, which frankly, is something for which I’m not ready;
- Chan Ho-Park;
- Steven Tyler, singing “God Bless America,” perhaps the only song he’s ever sung that will not be used at a strip club or a bad movie;
- Dr. Dre, who should not, under any circumstances, be seen wearing the jersey of an east coast team.
Between all that and just how sloppy the game itself was I just can’t express how discombobulating last night was for me. I’m going to pretend that it was merely an extension of spring training and that the real Opening Day is today. Greinke vs. Verlander! Santana vs. Johnson! Oswalt vs. Lincecum! Far less ridiculousness, I’m sure.
- Report: Yankees have agreed to a three-year deal with Carlos Beltran 6
- Mike Napoli agrees to two-year, $32 million deal with Red Sox 11
- Curtis Granderson leaves Yankees for Mets (and $60 million) 65
- Robinson Cano agrees to $240 million deal with Mariners 254
- MLB, NPB nearing new posting system agreement 9
- Robinson Cano agrees to $240 million deal with Mariners (254)
- Yankees agree to seven-year, $153M contract with free agent outfielder Jacoby Ellsbury (160)
- Report: Mariners willing to offer Robinson Cano a 10-year, $240 million deal (143)
- When will the Yankees regret the Jacoby Ellsbury contract? (101)
- Robinson Cano signing only bad if the Mariners stop now (93)