Apr 5, 2010, 8:30 AM EDT
Here’s a question for you: Which of the following people who participated in last night’s festivities seemed the most awkward and out-of-place?
- Neil Diamond, wearing a “keep the Dodgers in Brooklyn” jacket that’s only a half-century too late;
- Pedro Martinez, throwing the first pitch out as if he were all retired and everything, which frankly, is something for which I’m not ready;
- Chan Ho-Park;
- Steven Tyler, singing “God Bless America,” perhaps the only song he’s ever sung that will not be used at a strip club or a bad movie;
- Dr. Dre, who should not, under any circumstances, be seen wearing the jersey of an east coast team.
Between all that and just how sloppy the game itself was I just can’t express how discombobulating last night was for me. I’m going to pretend that it was merely an extension of spring training and that the real Opening Day is today. Greinke vs. Verlander! Santana vs. Johnson! Oswalt vs. Lincecum! Far less ridiculousness, I’m sure.
- Report: Rangers will pay Josh Hamilton less than $7 million; deal includes opt-out after two years 76
- Suspensions announced for Thursday’s brawl between the White Sox and Royals 75
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 81
- Report: Angels, Rangers agree on Josh Hamilton trade 69
- Must-Click Link: Alex Rodriguzez: the slugger with a thousand faces 22
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 115
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected 155
- Bartolo Colon picks off a baserunner. By running him down all by himself. 55
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (155)
- Kelvin Herrera gets a five-game suspension; Yordano Ventura fined (133)
- Jose Bautista and the Orioles exchanged some words last night (117)
- Joe Buck has a truly awful suggestion about how to improve MLB broadcasts (116)