Apr 6, 2010, 2:47 PM EDT
On the disabled list with a broken right thumb suffered early in spring training, Alex Gordon is now scheduled to begin a minor-league rehab assignment Thursday at Single-A.
Gordon is eligible to return from the disabled list Saturday, but MLB.com’s Dick Kaegel reports that he won’t be ready quite that soon. Willie Bloomquist filled in for Gordon at third base yesterday, but Alberto Callaspo is expected to be the primary replacement assuming he recovers from an oblique injury of his own.
Getting back into the lineup soon is crucial for Gordon, because this could be a make-or-break year for the former No. 2 overall pick. He’s battled injuries while hitting just .250 with a .331 on-base percentage and .415 slugging percentage through three seasons in the majors and at this point the Royals would probably be thrilled if the one-time elite prospect simply developed into a solid regular.
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 3
- Cardinals add “OT” patch for Oscar Taveras 75
- 2015 Preview: Pittsburgh Pirates 11
- 2015 Preview: San Diego Padres 22
- MLB is looking into some strange gambling tweets involving Marlins pitcher Jarred Cosart 46
- 2015 Preview: New York Yankees 63
- 2015 Preview: Cleveland Indians 10
- Dodgers sign Cuban star Hector Olivera for $62.5 million 55
- College baseball player cut after making offensive tweet about Mo’ne Davis (115)
- Joe West ejects A.J. Pierzynski by calmly telling the Braves’ dugout “you need a new catcher.” (97)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (87)
- Andrew McCutchen cut his hair for the first time in eight years (75)
- Cardinals add “OT” patch for Oscar Taveras (75)