Apr 6, 2010, 12:15 PM EST
Anyone who was at the Phillies-Nationals game or watched it on TV yesterday was well-aware that the joint was overrun by Philly fans, but I hadn’t realized how overrun until I read some of the commentary about it all this morning: “tens of thousands” of Philly fans came to Washington yesterday, many as the part of a concerted, group-ticket-purchasing effort.
I lived in D.C. for three years and it’s obvious that most people there come from someplace else, thereby explaining the lack of deep, city-wide loyalties to any sports teams not named “Redskins.” And heck, even the Redskins are more of a social networking event these days than a true rooting interest. But to get shown up so terribly on Opening Day in your own ballpark is just poor.
There have to be 40,000 die-hards in a region of five million. The team can’t choose who they sell their tickets to, but they can structure their promotions to do more to develop a local interest, can’t they?
- Red Sox announce four-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, DFA Juan Francisco 21
- The Cubs have offered Jon Lester “north of $135 million” 51
- Pablo Sandoval’s deal: five years, $98 million plus an option 40
- Kyle Seager, Mariners close to $100 million extension 25
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot 286
- So what would the Red Sox look like with Hanley Ramirez and Pablo Sandoval? 49
- UPDATE: Red Sox finalizing a 4-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, with a vesting option 35
- MLB players react to Odell Beckham, Jr. catch on Sunday Night Football 27
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot (286)
- More Hall of Fame ballots like Adam Rubin’s please (136)
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical (133)
- Report: Pablo Sandoval chose the Red Sox over the Giants because he felt disrespected (131)
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” (130)