Apr 6, 2010, 1:43 AM EST
Jason Heyward, whose middle name may as well be “Braves phenom,” announced his arrival with authority when he smashed a Carlos Zambrano offering into the cheap seats for a three-run home run in his first at-bat. [Watch here]
And Diamondbacks shortstop Stephen Drew dazzled the crowd with his inside-the-park home run against the Padres.
But the play of the day goes to Chicago White Sox pitcher Mark Buehrle, whose through-the-legs flip to first baseman Paul Konerko (after he stopped a hard grounder up the middle with his foot) for an out was simply amazing.
White Sox second baseman Gordon Beckham was among the impressed, as he told the Chicago Tribune:
“I was right there, so I got a pretty good look. It was pretty awesome. I was talking to the second-base umpire Bruce (Dreckman) and he said, ‘turn off the cameras now, it’s the best play of the year, first game.’ Unbelievable play. Mark’s a good athlete, and he showed it right there.”
You can watch the play – and be amazed – here. Watch the interviews below.
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 28
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 283
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 50
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks 131
- Rob Manfred says a return to a 154-game season could happen one day 66
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (283)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Report: The Yankees were “fuming” at how A-Rod handled his early arrival to spring training (114)
- Cuban prospect Yoan Moncada reportedly signs with the Red Sox for $31.5 million, plus $31.5 million in penalties (106)
- Brian Sabean says that California taxes are a hindrance to the Giants signing free agents (102)